Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Try to Increase Milk Supply?

Default Should I Try to Increase Milk Supply?

I'm always reading that so many of you have alot of milk that it sprays out or that you feel your let down. My milk does not spray our and I don't feel the let down. Could it be that I don't have alot of milk? What should I do to make more milk and maintain it?

Default Re: Should I Try to Increase Milk Supply?

Spraying milk or feeling letdown don't necessarily indicate a good milk supply, and their lack does not necessarily indicate a poor milk supply.

The way to be sure you are making enough milk is to track your exclusively breastfed baby's diapers and weight gain. For young infants, we like to see at least 5-6 good wet disposables and 2-3 dirty diapers in every 24-hour period, and a weight gain of 4-7 ounces each week.

And the surest way to maintain a good milk supply is to nurse on cue and breastfeed exclusively. Your baby's demand is what creates the supply!

Hi - I posted something similar last week or so.

I am in the same boat as you. I never feel let down, my breasts almost never feel engorged or hard or full, and I never leak. Someone told me that I should consider myself lucky.

But I always question my supply too b/c I had problems with my first DD. However, as Rebecca said, if LO is gaining weight appropriately and diaper output is good, then your Lo is getting what she needs.

I can tell you that for me, personally, I started taking Fenugreek daily and although it took almost two weeks, I do notice a difference now with my supply. I still don't leak, but especially at night I notice my breasts are harder and seem fuller. In fact, I had to pump a few times after Ashelyn nursed so I could get rid of the hard feeling in my breasts. Now I have a nice little frozen supply so I can have DH give her a bottle or 2 on Thanksgiving if needed (I am hosting and will be so busy, I don't mind letting her have a bottle on rare occasions). OT - sorry!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I am in the same boat as you. And like others have said - at least we don't have to deal with stained shirts, wet bras, soggy breast pads, etc...
    Last edited by DebiMommyTo2; November 17th, 2006 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling :o)

I think I will try the fenugreek. Do you take 1 capsule only?

where do you get that?

Smile Re: Should I Try to Increase Milk Supply?

See this link about fenugreek.
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html
    You can buy it at GNC (vitamin shop).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I"m in the same boat..i never felt engorged, full or leak. I also never feel a let down. Even when I pump and can see the milk come out, I still don't feel a let down. I guess we're the lucky ones. I too thought something was wrong because I didn't spray everywhere. My sister in law can pump over 5 ounces from each breast everytime she pumps and when her baby pulls away, it just pours out. I've never been able to do that and I don't think I will. I've never heard of Fenugreek though, so maybe I'll try it.

With the Fenugreek - I get it at GNC - $12.99 for 200 capsules. I take 3 capsules three times a day - for a total of 9 capsules. HTH!

ETA: It will make you smell like maple syrup
    Last edited by DebiMommyTo2; November 19th, 2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added info.

Okay,

This thread has started to concern me a bit. PLEASE know that because you don't spray or feel let down, it does NOT mean that there is a milk supply issue. Many women don't feel letdown or spray and are able to feed a baby with no trouble at all.

As LLL_Rebecca pointed out, the very best way to tell if your baby is getting enough to eat is to count the number of wet and dirty diapers. Here is an article that can tell you more:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

If you do feel that there is a milk supply issue, supplements and medications should be a last resort. In most cases, the milk supply can be built up simply by putting the baby to the breast more frequently. If you feel that there truly is a problem, see this link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thank you for the information and links. I continually put my baby to the breast when she's hungry which seems to be every hour. She has several
    wet diapers and has gained weight. I was just concerned because so
    many other mom's talk about let down and spraying milk which got me
    concerned about not having enough milk.