Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you keep going?

Default How do you keep going?

Hey everyone. My DD is just shy of one year and I fear that I may accidentally push her to wean before I want her to. I feel like there is just no more of me to give, and that I am not making BFing as important as it had been. I want to get past one year and wouldn't even mind to year two or three.

How do you all keep BFing special and important even when you feel like there is no more of you left to give?

Default Re: How do you keep going?

I spend a session or two in bed with zayne (not just at bed/wake up time). Cuddling, tickling, nibbling fingers and toes etc. to get smiles and giggles out of him. It makes me feel appreciated and keeps an element of fun, not just food and immune system, in our relationship. Since the bed sits on the floor, he gets off and plays a bit then comes back and nurses again while I get a moment to lay there and rest or read.

Things really change in the 2nd year. You don't have to give so much of yourself via breastfeeding because you don't HAVE to do anymore. You are no longer your child's sole source of nutrition and your body doesn't have to feed every two hours to maintain your supply. So it becomes much more about the relationship. About the love and comfort that nursing provides. You can set limits with your child this year. You can feed more solids. You can distract. Don't feel like nursing? Then get up and get out of the house. And STAY GONE. A one year old not at home is distracted by the bid wide world. One year olds don't usually want to nurse at the park or Gymboree. It is special and important. You don't have to do anything to make it that way. It just is.
    ANd if your child hasn't already her demand to nurse is about to increase because her 1st year molars are going to break and they HURT. And you definitely want to keep nursing NOW because you want to nurse thru cold and flu season for sure.

Way too lazy for formula

I found the second year nursing to be more about reconnecting. I had gone back to work with DD1 at 1 year. So I craved that together time, that moment when she'd lock eyes with mine and flash me a smile. Since I wasn't nursing as often (she was drinking from a sippy and eating solids) it became more about affection for us.

Try not to think of it as giving 'more'. In reality they'll nurse less. You'll enjoy having BFing as a tool for them to go to sleep or when they're sick or when they're hurt.... you'll appreciate it so much more.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

The second year and beyond is more a give and take because they communicate better and you can set boundaries if you feel burned out.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Do you think you are taking care of yourself the way you should be? Getting as much rest as possible (I know this is not easy), eating enough healthy foods and protein, drinking water, getting outside, etc.? Because the times when I feel like I have nothing left to give are the times when I am giving nothing to myself.

I agree that nursing becomes significantly different after 1 year. It is worth it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank you everyone! My LO has already started breaking through her one year molars and I was EXHAUSTED! I didn't take care of my self the way I should have (eating healthy, drinking water, getting down time ect). I feel much better about things today. It also helps that both Ber and I were tired and got to sleep in this morning. My husband has also been making an effort to help out more as well.

Your support is very much appreciated.

How do you all keep BFing special and important even when you feel like there is no more of you left to give?
    for me, it was finding my "tribe." By that I mean, it was vital for me to find or create a community of other moms who were nursing or planning to nurse past a year. Online is great but I also suggest having an in person group if you can. It can be as formal as a regular meeting or playgroup or as informal as knowing who you can call who can usually meet you at the park. This can make all the difference. You want to be around folks who you can be honest with and complain to when the going gets tough whose first answer to everything will not be "well why don't you just wean?”

Here is my experience-motherhood-parenthood- while of course amazingly rewarding, is also very often unbelievably exhausting and draining of mind, body and spirit. The older and further away from their nursing days my older boys get, the more I realize that it is PARENTING that is hard. Compared to parenting, breastfeeding is a piece of cake.