Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question Re: Blessed Thistle

Exclamation Question Re: Blessed Thistle

Hello,

I bought a bottle of Blessed Thistle after reading the "making more milk" book. I took Funugreek, but it upset my stomach so bad, I coudln't take it.

I read up on Blessed Thistle in the Medications and Mother's Milk book, and it's rated an L3. It says it is "vitually nontoxic" WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?? Everything I read, says to "avoid use during breast feeding" Then after wards it says because there hasn't been enough studies done.

AHH! Would people make up their minds? I'm trying to make an educated decision on taking these things to increase my supply, and then I read things like "vitually nontoxic and avoid during breast feeding" and it freaks me out.

So, has anyone out there used Blessed Thistle? Did you have any side effects? I also ready that people take Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle together. Which I may be able to do since Blessed Thistle is used as an anti diarheal.

I don't know, I'm just trying to increase my supply, only a little bit. I'm getting about 75% of what I should be to satisfy my DD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Question Re: Blessed Thistle

I think "virtually nontoxic" means that it won't cause problems unless you take too much of it, have intestinal problems that it might exacerbate, are allergic to it, or are pregnant.

The recommendation to avoid using blessed thistle while breastfeeding is for the reason you mentioned -- without research on it, health care providers would rather err on the side of caution.

I haven't been able to find any studies at all on the use of blessed thistle during lactation. In fact, in Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, Dr. Ruth Lawrence seems to imply that blessed thistle (Cnicus benedictus) has a reputation as a galactagogue only because it has been confused with milk thistle (Silybum marianum, or silymarin), which is also known as blessed milk thistle. There has been one study done on milk thistle/silymarin that showed positive results.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you Karen for the info. I seen results while taking fenurgreek, however it caused diareah, do you have any other suggestion s? I'm only making 50% of what I need to be. I need to increase asap, dd is 5 mo old

I just figured out its closer to 50% because I'm at work for 8 hrs and am only making 4oz total all day.

I use Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle Not everyday but when I feel like my supply is a bit low I will take them together ( apparantly when taking both fenugreek & blessed thistle together, it's more effective ). I personally haven't had or noticed any side effects, other than producing a bit more milk. But sometimes I do also notice if I take them and don't drink enough water throughout the day, I don't notice an increase in my supply. If I end up using the capsules, I will take two of each, 3X a day, after a meal/snack! Have you tried taking them AFTER eating something? Maybe that would help with the stomach aches?
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; September 30th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
    very proud mommy to alexander
    7.5 lbs at birth and growing like crazy
    breastfed for 18 months
    .....now expecting number two! it's a surprise, due June 11, 2012
    i love my little family

When it comes to increasing supply, supplements are nice, but nothing- and I do mean NOTHING!- is as good as increasing the frequency and intensity of milk removal from the breast. It's usually easy to do that if you're home with your baby- just let the baby nurse on demand and that will do the trick. For a working mama, increasing frequency/intensity usually means pumping much more often, and using an excellent pump. If you're pumping every 3 hours, try pumping every 2 hours. And pumping after nursing when you are home with your baby. And using the best pump you can afford- a good double electric with correctly sized shields is the minimum.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"