Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often to pump and feed for a "sort of" nursing strike?

Default How often to pump and feed for a "sort of" nursing strike?

My DS is 19 mo. old. He has tonsillitis, and he won't nurse. Well, he tries, but it hurts too much. He'll suck once or twice, and then he starts crying and backs away. I don't think we'll have an issue nursing again once he starts feeling better, which should be in 24 hours. I am pumping right now since he hasn't nursed much this afternoon or evening. I have no problem pumping to replace his daytime feedings. I have two main questions:

1) DS usually nurses a TON overnight. As in 4-8 overnight sessions. Do I need to get up to pump for every usual nursing session overnight? Or can I just pump to replace feedings that he refuses during the day if he won't nurse and then in the morning if I feel really full? I have a feeling I'll be up with him most of the night since he's in pain, and I really don't want to try to squeeze in pumping sessions tonight too if I don't have to.

2) How should I offer the pumped milk? He usually gets a sippy of milk at daycare, but I'm not there when he gets it. Should I just offer a sippy? He's not doing well with any liquids or foods right now since his throat hurts so bad, but we need to offer something because I'm worried about dehydration.

I really don't want this to hurt our nursing relationship, but I can deal with that if I have to. I'm more worried about DS getting the nutrition he needs right now. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

Default Re: How often to pump and feed for a "sort of" nursing strik

I wouldn't worry about pumping at 19 months. Missing one night of nursing shouldn't hurt your supply and if it did it's not long enough to make any permanent damage. And sure, offer the cup. And of course keep offering the breast. Maybe twilight nursing will be easier for him. I hope he feels better. I get tonsillitis and it isn't fun at all.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

i agree, pump only if you are feeling uncomfortable. sippy should be fine, or syringe or something like that if you get worried he's getting dehydrated. hope he feels better soon, and hope you get some rest tonight!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the responses! I actually got DS to nurse a couple times last night when he wasn't fully awake. He also took some "juice" (90% water 10% juice) from a sippy. He's spitting out some of his meds, but I hope enough of them are making it down so that he starts feeling better tonight.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .