Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with my 2 week old

Default Re: Need help with my 2 week old

Wow, that sounds so stressful!

Would you consider trying 1 ounce once every hour during the day?

Not letting him sleep longer than 2 hours at night is a good idea at this point.

The only reason I can imagine for talking about formula is if the doctor is considering human milk fortifier to get more calories and nutrients per ounce into him. But HMF could be added to breast milk.

I'm sorry you're going through this!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

has at least 6 wet diapers a day, poops with almost every diaper change.. they want him to take no less then 2oz per feeding and they want him fed every 2 hours. But my issue is he just won't do it, he takes the 1.5 and that's it he will flat out refuse anymore.. I'm at a loss and I really don't know what to do here. I feel like I'm failing him and failing as a mother here..
    Sorry if this has already been covered but...

Are we sure the scales/weight checks are correct? Same scale every time, baby always in a dry diaper or nothing? At this point, I would suggest making sure that the weight checks were done twice in a row and that the weight was being noted and written down by both mom and the nurse. Human error and scale error has caused lots of needless grief over weight gain. There is now a new school of thought that suggests that birth weight is often so unnaturally inflated and inaccurately measured that it should not even be considered, and weight checks should start at 24 hours of age instead. I do not understand how a baby is pooping frequently is LOOSING weight. It does not make sense.

According to Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple, a two week old baby averages an intake of 20-25 ounces a day and can typically take in 2-3 ounces per feeding.

Why your baby is not taking more than 1.5 ounces each time is a mystery, maybe the feeding method is a problem...but in any case, if he continues to take in 1.5 ounces per feeding but you fed him more often, that would up his overall daily intake to normal levels. 15 or 16 feedings a 24 hour day sounds like a lot, but would be a pretty typical feeding pattern for many cue-feeding breastfed babies.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has a statement on infant feeding that I am pretty sure your pediatrician is not following, if he is reccomending you switch from breastmilk to formula.

The last 2 weight checks, the one at 8 days and the one at 15 days were done on the exact same scale and my son was completely naked. I saw the weight this time but not last time. He did a bit better today took 1.5 every 2 hours almost all day. I'm very confused myself because he has plenty of wet diapers and he has atleast 5 poopy diapers a day which means he has to be getting nutrients. I have no idea what my pediatrician's issue with breastmilk is, after all they have lactation consultants on staff there!!
    Mama to 2 beautiful baby boys
    Aidan Tae 02/19/2011 & Caleb Tae 08/29/2012

I doubt your doctor has anything against breastmilk, they are just worried because a weight loss after a weight gain in a newborn is very worrisome! (Of course an initial weight loss after birth is normal.) However, there is more to measuring good health than weight gain, and I am not convinced there is not a scale error here somewhere, maybe coupled with not having quite the feeding frequency needed for a brand newborn baby with a teeny tummy and/or who prefers to ‘snack.’

You are seeing the doctor again on Monday, right? So, keep up the good work and see what that weight check says. One thing I like is that the weight gain your doctor is wanting to see- 2-3 ounces in 4 days (assuming you saw the doctor on Thursday) -is not unreasonable at all. After about 2 weeks of age, the typical rule of thumb is you do want to see a weight gain of at least ½ to 1 ounce a day. Make sure it is the same scale, watch that the weight is done carefully and accurately (if you have any question, ask for a re-weigh) and look at the weight yourself and write it down. I would also suggest keeping a diary of feedings with amounts and times noted, and also track output to show the doctor so she can see you are taking this seriously and closely monitoring the situation. Also if you TRY to feed baby more and baby refuses, note that as well. You say baby ate every two hours, so I take it you fed baby 12 times today, which means baby got 18 ounces total, which is really good-but have you tried to feed him even more often? As LLL Karen suggests, maybe every hour for at least part of the day?

Another thought-skin to skin contact has been shown to increase weight gain in premature babies. The studies were done on breastfeeding babies (I think) but maybe the calming/nurturing effects of skin to skin contact will help even though you are bottle feeding. Skin to skin simply means holding baby close to your chest, with both of you undressed enough to give lots of skin to skin contact, as much as you can. You can do this while feeding baby or whenever. If you are not comfortable or able to do true skin to skin, even holding baby closely against your chest may help. Skin to skin reduces baby’s stress, regulates baby’s temperature, regulates baby’s breathing-it’s really amazing. And dad can do it too! Might help, can't hurt I figure.

If on Monday weight gain is not where the doctor thinks it needs to be, you have choices. Here are some ideas-You can ask the doctor if you can supplement with a human milk fortifier rather than switching from breastmilk entirely to formula. You can ask for medical tests to see if there is an underlying medical issue. You can ask if you can go home, try to feed baby more, and come back for another check in another few days. You can also seek a second opinion if you do not feel comfortable with the medical advice you are getting.