Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my 2 week old

Question Need help with my 2 week old

Hello Ladies,
    Looking for some advice. My son Caleb is 2 weeks old he was born at 6lbs 14oz and was at 6lbs 8oz when he came home. We had his first appointment at 8 days and he was 6lbs 10oz but now at 15 days old he is well BELOW birth weight at 6lbs 6oz. He does not breastfeed I exclusivity pump for him as we were unable to get him to latch despite numerous attempts and numerous lactation consultants and nurses. I have plently of milk so we have NO supply issue. He takes 1.5oz every 2.5-3 hours during the day he refuses to take anymore then this at 1 time. The pediatrician told me he must show at least a 2-3oz gain by Monday or he needs to go on formula asap. This is obviously not what I want since I know breast milk is best for at least the first 6 months. My first son didn't ever need formula in the beginning nor did he lose weight, by day 6 he was almost birth weight so this issue is new to me. They are classifying my 2 week old as failure to thrive right now and I'm devastated. He is healthy, he is very alert when he's awake, easy to wake up, has at least 6 wet diapers a day, poops with almost every diaper change.. they want him to take no less then 2oz per feeding and they want him fed every 2 hours. But my issue is he just won't do it, he takes the 1.5 and that's it he will flat out refuse anymore.. I'm at a loss and I really don't know what to do here. I feel like I'm failing him and failing as a mother here..
    Mama to 2 beautiful baby boys
    Aidan Tae 02/19/2011 & Caleb Tae 08/29/2012

Default Re: Need help with my 2 week old

first of all you are not a failure as a mother. you are hear asking for help which means that you are doing the best you can.
    did you have iv or epidural during labour. this can cause the baby to have extra weight when born and they lose this, which means that they lost the fluid not weight.
    have you had him assessed for a tongue or lip tie. these are very common and can cause the issues you have described.
    you an supplement with breast milk instead of formula. your own of someone else's.
    hth
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09

I did NOT have an IV or epidural during labor. They said his tongue and lip are normal, I solely pump so he takes a bottle at every feeding with breastmilk

If baby is unable to gain weight on a breastmilk diet, what makes the doc think that formula will change anything? Breastmilk generally contains more calories per oz than formula, and when a baby isn't gaining on breastmilk, the issue isn't the quality of the milk but rather the quantity of milk. Since your LO will never take more than 1.5 oz, I'm thinking that there must be a reason why he isn't eating more. Maybe reflux?

Has baby been given a full screening for metabolic issues?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not sure why they are pushing formula, they want him to take 2oz every 2 hours whether it be formula or breastmilk around the clock.
    He doesn't show any signs of reflux, my first son had it and was constantly throwing up, but this little guy rarely even spits up. He doesn't cry unnecessarily or anything either.

I understand he is refusing more than 1.5 oz arty a time. My question is: is he refusing to take the bottle before 2.5-3 hours or is that a schedule you made for him?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I understand he is refusing more than 1.5 oz arty a time. My question is: is he refusing to take the bottle before 2.5-3 hours or is that a schedule you made for him?
    Exactly. BM digests quickly. If he'll only take 1.5 oz at one feeding offer more 15-20 minutes later etc until he takes it. Some "easy" babies will not demand often. Treat it like you were nursing- offer more frequently. He has a tiny stomach and maybe he needs to graze to get enough calories.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Another question popped into my head. I noticed you said he eats x amount 'during the day', does this mean he's been sleeping long periods at night? I've known people to push the babywise type schedules including sleeping through the night with no feedings at really young ages with this same failure to thrive happening.

His nights vary, sometimes he sleeps for 2 hours and wakes other times for 4. Lately I've been waking him after 2.5 if he doesn't wake up at 2.

He gets bottles filled with 3oz every 2 hours, he will stop after 1-1.5 ounce(s) and refuse anymore even after burping. Sometimes after 15-30 minutes you can get him to take another 1/2 ounce sometimes you can't. Sometimes at the 2 hour mark he won't take anything at all but at the 3 hour mark he will

Since you're in Philly, I just wanted to suggest calling the Bryn Mawr Birth Center (http://brynmawrbirthcenter.org/) and asking for a referral to a good lactation consultant and pediatrician who is familiar with breastfeeding. They're pretty much guaranteed to know the best in the area. Not trying to slam your LC(s) or pediatrician(s), but in this situation I think you could use all the help you can possibly get' and sometimes a fresh set of eyes will see something that was overlooked.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"