Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to stop bottle feeding but i can't express!!! plzz he

Default I want to stop bottle feeding but i can't express!!! plzz he

My LO is 2 and a half months and he was bottle fed mostly. We had to resort to bottle feeding because after 10 days after birth he has lost abt 16% of his weight. And when i gave him my breast he did mostly comfort sucking than actual feeding so we had to supplement as advised by his paediatrician. Now that he's fine and chubby i want to resume breastfeeding which am still trying and ultimately exclusive breastfeeding. My milk has returned, he latches on perfectly and even his stools has changed consistency. I have read here that in order to increase milm supply, mum has to express. I have been using a vent manual breast pump but i can't produce even 1 ounce. Please guide me on bow to increase milk.supply so that i may exclusively bf my little prince. Thanks
    Last edited by @llli*hafs; June 7th, 2015 at 02:46 AM.

Default Re: I want to stop bottle feeding but i can't express!!! plz

I am a little confused- what do you mean "your milk has returned?" How did that happen? And if it has happened, why do you need to increase your milk production?

What has baby been eating all this time, and have you been pumping as well, and if so, was it always with a manual???

Can you detail exactly what and how much baby is fed in bottles right now, and how often baby nurses? (how many times/ounces in 24 hours will give me the most accurate idea, thanks.)

Also, how are supplements given- Bottles? is paced bottle feeding being done?

If your baby will nurse well, then baby nursing frequently will increase milk production, probably much better than a pump.

But if you also need to pump, I would suggest getting a double sided electric pump, a rental grade if possible.

I relied so much on bottle feeding that i neglected bf and therefore it so happened that my breast only produced a few drops of milk then nothing. But now there is more milk and whenever i squeeze my nipple there's milk.
    Baby takes 120ml per feed and abt 8-9 bottles a day. But now when i breastfeed him i give him only 90 ml in 2 of his feeds.

Thxx

Ok, how many times a day does baby nurse? Are you able to get a better pump?

Milk production depends on frequent and effective milk removal. This means either baby nursing, pumping with an effective pump, or hand expressing, or some combination, a minimum of 8 times a 24 hour day. Has this been happening? Are you doing this now?

120 mils (4 ounces) at a time is in the high side for an individual feeding, and that much 8 times a day is 32 ounces a day, a little on the high side for total daily intake, although or course some babies would need this much. But since babies are often overfed with bottles, again you would want to look at how bottles are given. Are you familiar with paced bottle feeding?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 8th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

There are many things that can do to increase your breast-milk supply but the best thing is to be sure that baby is sucking at the breast often. . Eat a healthy anti-inflammatory diet . Aim for about 2,500 calories per day.
 Need to have plenty of water.

Check this about how to increase the breast milk http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/...se-milk-supply

our pediatrician told us, that loosing weight at the first 10 days after birth is normal for babies, because the survive the stress of the new environment and get ready to receive the food in an unusual way (breastfeeding). As for the milk supply - one of the two breastfeeding consultants has told I should pump in order to have more milk and the other told be right the opposite - never pump, if there's no extreme necessity. The baby and only the baby should be the one, who generates and regulates the amount of your milk by sucking. Pumping more than the baby eats may lead to overproduction and result into constant pumping and discomfort. I might be wrong, but when my pediatrician has noticed the baby doesn't gain weight - she simply said I should apply the baby as often as the baby would take the breast. If you are afraid to overfeed the baby - it's almost impossible while breastfeeding only. "If one decants after each feeding, there will be much more milk than it’s needed, and it can lead to milk stagnation – lactostasis. The only real reason for pumping is when you have alcohol in your blood." http://motherhow.com/breastfeeding-d...eve-in-rumors/