Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where to get domperidone

Default Where to get domperidone

I am trying to relactate after 3 months. I BF and pump the first 2 1/2 weeks and had to stop because I got sick and was on medication. I tried to pump since last Saturday and take 2 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day. I started pumping every 2 hours today and at least once between 1 to 5am but I only got a drop or 2 in a day. I want to try domperidone but don't know where to buy. Anyone can give a suggestion? Also how long should I try domperidone and pump? I know everybody is different, but I have to go back to work within 1 week, and I want to see more result beside a drop or 2 after pumping all day. I have madela pump in style pump. Any help and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Where to get domperidone

Welcome to the forum! The first person you should speak to is your doctor or midwife, because Domperidone is prescription only. In the US, it is only available from compounding pharmacies, so your doc/midwife has to be familiar with that system.

When relactating, it's important to use the ago site best equipment. A PISA is a good pump but it's not the best pump. You should be using a hospital-grade rental pump with correctly sized shields. A lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, should be your next stop for that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. Maybe I should rent hospital grade pump. I used my husband flexible spending account to get PISA, and I don't think we can afford a new pump. Is Medela Symphony good enough?

I have been pumping for 2 weeks (include 1 week with hospital grade pump). I just started with domperidone (10 mg 4 X a day). I got domperidone from compounding pharmacy and it's very expensive ($117 for 90pils). If I take domperidone 20 mg 4X a day, my supplies will last less than 2 weeks. Is it cheaper to get domperidone from Canada? If yes, can I get them online with my Dr. prescription. I have been pumping irregularly because I have baby to take care; however, I pump at least once between 1 to 5 am. I am going back to work tomorrow, and I am afraid that I will fail on relactate. I would love to, but my breast milk only increase from 1 or 2 drops to 4 pr 5 drops. I spent lots of money already and it feels going nowhere. Also, anyone can tell me where I can get feeding tube for homemade SNS? I tried to order online, but they ask prescription for feeding tube (arrggggh). I order medela starter so I can get the tube and make a homemade one, but I will need extra feeding tubes. HELP?
    Last edited by @llli*mommy.smeagol; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

It may be cheaper to get it from Canada, but there also may be legal issues involved with cross-border shipments of non-FDA-approved medications... If you have a prescription, it can't hurt to try the Canada route.

The best thing for your supply is regular pumping. I don't mean you have to adhere to the every 2 hours guideline like a robot, but you do what to try to get in at least 8-10 pumping sessions per day and to not let yourself go more than 3-4 hours without pumping. I'm sorry you haven't had better results thus far- you are working so hard! It's no joke getting up in the middle of the night to hook yorself to a stupid machine.

One thing that can sabotage a mom's relactation success is her birth control choices. If you're using hormonal contraception- and that includes "safe for breastfeeding" methods like the mini-pill and Mirena- they could be preventing your milk from increasing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your advice, especially about pumping. I started work today and I didn't expressed my milk for 6 hours (morning to lunch time), but I will do better tomorrow. I didn't use pump today, only hand express since I don't have much anyway. I got Medela SNS starter today...yay! I am trying to bring my girl to boobs, so if she is willing to suck and get some milk, maybe she will be taking boobs more often. My perfect outcome is breastfeeding when I am home and pump at work (BF of 2/3 of baby's daily meals).
    About birth control, I decided to wait. I know birth control can decrease supplies, so right now, hubby and I use condom.

If you go to your local hospital, they may be able to give you a feeding tube with the syringe to clean it. I would ask for a couple and do not put it in the dishwasher no matter what the lactation consultant tells you! Mine told me it was fine on the top wrack and it melted. I just clean it by hand now and put it into the sterilizer. I use another one while that one is sterilizing and just continue to switch them around.
    - Rhaewyn's Mom -