Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: which is worse

Default which is worse

ds is three years old. i am quite happy to nurse him, but i can't put up with the tantrums that he has because of it.
    i have tried teaching nursing manners but it doesn't work.
    he pulls at my time and when he wants to nurse he demands it straight away. i can delay when we are outside but not at home.
    dh is questioning it, as am i sometimes whether the battles ds and i have over breastfeeding are as bad as weaning.
    thoughts ?
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09

Default Re: which is worse

Well, I am not sure how you would wean without putting limits. I'm not sure if I'm being helpful - do you mean if you were to wean cold turkey? Instead of limits?

What have you done in order to try to put limits on nursing? My 20 month old always wants to nurse when I pick her up from daycare, but we only live 10 minutes away - so I distract her by having her choose something from DCPs house to borrow until the next morning. I know that 3 year olds are more intense, but is there something that he really likes doing/having that you could say, for example - we can nurse right after we go to the playground?

I weaned my older daughter at around 2 years old when I was pregnant by having fun activities to do and phased out nursings that way. I'm not recommending you wean - that is up to you - I just think that the setting limits process and the mother-led weaning process have a lot of similarities.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with Tracie. I don't know that there's a real difference between weaning and setting limits- either way you're going to have battles!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

SO Ithink the place you begin IS by setting limits. If it's not working it's on YOU to be firm an consistent. If there are issues at home, and most of us go thru that, because kids like to nurse when bored, you set very firm limits about what is ok and what is not. And that usually begins with No nursing except at ____ and ____ times. in my house it was in bed. So we only nursed up and down from nap and up and down for bed. So if we weren't actually IN BED by 3 years old we did not nurse in the house. And by then we had very strict "we only do that at home" rules in place. The only time I nursed out in public by that age is if he got really hurt on the play ground.

Way too lazy for formula

thanks for the feed back ladies. you have given me a lot to think about.
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09