Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 hour shift pumping

Default 12 hour shift pumping

If You work 12 hour shifts, what is yourcpump schedule while at work?

Default Re: 12 hour shift pumping

every three hours while on shift and a nurse or pump session immediately before/after.

so let's say the shift is 7a-7p and you only have a very short commute (10-15 min):
    I would wake up and get completely ready,
    then wake lo to nurse immediately before leaving (for me lying in bed with lo would be the best bet)
    leave for work
    arrive and work until 10a (pump for 20-45 min depending on how efficient a pumper you are) eating while I pump
    work until 1:30p (pump for 20-45 min depending on how efficient a pumper you are) eating while I pump
    work until around 5:00p (pump for 20-45 min depending on how efficient a pumper you are) eating while I pump
    work until 7:00p
    drive home and wake lo to nurse immediately

the only changes I would make is that
    if my commute was any longer I would add a session at the start end of my shift
    if I had a dip in supply I would switch to a pump every 2 hours plan to bring it back up
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Hi I work 12 hour shifts as an RN but with commute I am away roughly 15 hours.

4:30am Feed then get ready
    6:25 first pump at work clock in at 6:45
    10:00 pump
    1:00 pump
    4:00 pump
    7:30 pump while driving home

I never go that long without pumping but still "away" from my job only 3 times. I must say pumping while driving home has saved my sanity. I never worry about my LO crying waiting for me, and even if she has just finished a bottle she misses me so much she latches right on and is happy as a calm too see me again.
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing

Happykaramom! Do you wake baby to feed? I'm afraid of a cranky baby for my husband if I wake him. I can pump about 15 min on the way home from the train station. I'll try that

Yes I do wake her. I don't want to impact my supply and she sleeps longer after I feed her. I start by multitasking nursing and getting my oatmeal made ect. 1/2 way into the 430 feed I swaddle her and it makes putting her back down a sintch most days. I've been having the best luck nursing her to sleep swaddled in my bed. My husband says she sleeps until 730 most days.
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing