Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this her weaning??? Help!

Default Is this her weaning??? Help!

We are on Day 5 of nursing strike in our 11 month old, who up to this point has been exclusively breastfed 8-10x/day and never has taken a bottle or a cup. She has had a cold and is congested most of the day. We have tried everything to unplug the nose. At first she would try and latch, but sputter and gag with all the congestion and come off. Now she won't even try and gets discouraged when I offer. Luckilly, she will dream feed 4-5x overnight (not the best, but it's something). She is eating plenty of solids, juicy fruits, some water from a sippy and has started taking some breast milk from the sippy. She isn't dehydrated. (no ear infection either). I don't see an end in the next few days for this runny/stuffy nose. I am hoping this isn't the end. I'm so sad. The worst part is that I have no other way to comfort her. It's all we've known so far. When she is tired, hurt, irritable...we nurse. It's how I put her to bed. It's my total "go-to". My husband has had to put her down the last few nights and she has gone from 2 naps/day to none. Please help. Has anyone else survived this? I keep offering, and pumping (even the pump output is decreasing), but am getting sad and discouraged. Any insight or other people who have gone through this, I'll take any advice you have!! Thank you

Default Re: Is this her weaning??? Help!

Have you taken her to the doctor to make sure that she doesn't have an ear infection? Or do you jus think she doesn't have one?

I'm sorry Mama. Are you pumping during the day? Other mamas have made it through longer nursing strikes. Have you tried walking around with her in a carrier to get her to sleep and then latch her on after? That way her nose could drain... or how about steam up the bathroom really well and then get into a warm bath with her and try to nurse that way?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am not an expert on nursing strikes but DD3, 10mo went through periods of nursing less than usual. I think you are doing great, especially the night time nursing. I would keep doing what you are doing but I wouldn't push her so hard. Try to make it more relaxed, if he takes it, great, if not keep doing what you were doing and offer at some other time. I am pretty sure once she feels better she'll nurse again. I know, it is stressful, I would be stressed out in your shoes but she IS nursing throughout the night, so she won't forget how to do it.

esp about the ear infection. those things are insidious. ive had one come up right after a cold too. and vice versa. definitely keep with the night nursing that is a really good sign.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for the responses. Yes, we had the ears checked and all is well...so far. Still runny and stuffy and now going on another day without any daytime nursing. This is heartbreaking to me! We went from such a great schedule to total chaos. She went from 2 solid naps/day to none or barely one and we can't get her down at night until she is so exhausted that she just drops. I can't even lay on the bed with her now without her getting upset and I haven't been able to get her down for a nap or bedtime in almost a week. She just started walking, has really discovered solids since this strike began and I've been offering so much without her nursing at all, and has another tooth popping through up top. I realize there is a lot developmentally going on and am hoping it's part of the problem. I'm continuing to pump, but hate it. I'm starting to consider that this might be the end, but I'm so not ready. Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm sorry mama. I think she'll be back whenever whatever it is stops. Have you tried giving her tylenol or ibuprofen during the day to see if that will get her to nurse?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months