Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Day 3 of horrible cold and nursing strike!

Default Help! Day 3 of horrible cold and nursing strike!

We've tried everything, and I mean everything to unplug this little nose. We are on day 3 of refusing to nurse, except an occasional dream feed at night which isn't much. (maybe an ear infection. We are going to check it out). DD has never taken a cup or bottle (now 11 months) and isn't taking one now either. I'm trying to add breast milk to everything she eats. Does anyone have strategies on how and how often to pump in this situation. I keep putting it off "in case" she will want to nurse. I'm feeling my supply drop already...plus the stress of her refusing to nurse. Please help!!!

Default Re: Help! Day 3 of horrible cold and nursing strike!

I'm sorry. I would definitely get the ears checked. It can hurt to suck when your ears are in pain. The positive thing is, she is 11 months old. Your supply is fairly well-established at this point and your DD will not forget how to nurse. Some moms of 1 year olds have gone away for a weekend or longer and returned and continued nursing. How often did she nurse before she was sick? I would pump that many times. Keep offering the breast but don't make it a battle. Continue that dream feed if its working. Have you tried a steamy bathroom and both of you in the tub? Skin to skin and the water and steam can help relax everyone and open up her nose. When my son refused to nurse during roseola I was making really runny oatmeal with breastmilk and he was taking that on a spoon. She is going to get better and you'll be back on track.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Help! Day 3 of horrible cold and nursing strike!

Thanks Lyn. I needed to hear that. I'm starting to get scared she might wean after this. Today she ate a ton of juicy fruit, milky oatmeal and drank some from the sippy cup. She seems well hydrated from all of that. Hopefully she"ll want to nurse again when this is over...it's been such a struggle that she is getting frustrated with trying. I know shes 11 months, but I'm not ready to give it up yet