Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician Told Me To Stop Breastfeeding

Default Re: Pediatrician Told Me To Stop Breastfeeding

Hang in there. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you. Seems that the issues are pretty clearly medical and not just breastfeeding troubles. I would be VERY assertive about your breastfeeding desires and push to make it happen. I hope that your hospital will make things comfortable for you. I think our babies are about the same age. We were readmitted at 10 days for an infection. Overall, it was a good experience. Our hospital has double rooms on the pediatric floor: one bed for patient and one real bed for a parent in addition to the fold-out chair thing. They provided a parent tray at each meal and let me use a hospital pump (I wanted a bit of a stash to leave if I needed to get out of the hospital for my sanity).

When you're admitted you will be in pediatrics rather than post-partum. I found that the pediatric nurses were all over the map as far as breastfeeding knowledge and supportiveness. I quickly realized that I would have to take their advice on medical stuff (IVs, vital signs, labs) and leave it on feeding and parenting (how much I held the boy, how I fed, etc.). Our hospital had great IBCLCs on staff. I requested to see the LC when we were trying to rebuild supply after he lost interest due to the infection. When the other nurses tried to say other things about breastfeeding, I just politely told them I was working with the LC and following her advice. With new nurses almost every shift I think I would have gone batty if I tried to accommodate the theories of 20 each one.

Hang in there. Keep loving your baby and working with your medical team.

Hi ladies!

We have been in the hospital now for 2 days. For the first day they did nothing but pre/post feed weight and measuring output. They think that he fell off the chart during his extended episode of jaundice and after he got started eating well, was only able to take in enough to maintain where he was. They explained to me that he needs more than average calories in order to catch up. The good news is that it is fixable and the very pro breastfeeding and wants to wean out the formula supplements as opposed to our regular pediatrician who wanted me to stop breastfeeding.

Now we are working on getting my supply back up so that when he is able to take in more at a feeding, it will be there for him. The team here is really great. I was very concerned about being judged in the hospital because my baby has been labeled failure to thrive, but everyone has been great. I only had one teary episode in response to a dietician who came in without consulting the dr first and started talking about more supplementing with formula, but when I told the dr, she straightened her out by telling her that our plan was breastfeeding and she needed to talk to her and not to me about any of her concerns with our plan. It felt great to be backed up instead of having to defend myself.

I will post an update when we know anything. Thanks!

That is great news. Please do update us. I hope things start to steadily improve now that you have the support you need.

I'm really glad to read your update, Mama! Stay strong. Your LO will do great and this will be part of your journey. Hugs*
    Erin
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

So glad you're getting support and care from the hospital team. I really hope things get figured out soon! And please do keep us updated. We're all rooting for you and your LO!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so glad to hear you have a good hospital team. Since your doctor is on board with breastfeeding, you have 100% permission to ignore any dietitians/nurses/others who state a different plan. And you can say exactly what the doctor said. "The pediatrician has encouraged us to keep breastfeeding. If you think the plan should be modified, please speak with doctor ___." Also, if it were my family, I would be looking for a new Pediatrician to see when discharged from the hospital. I've been thinking about you and I am so glad to hear such a good update.

Ok, we are out of the hospital and he has gained up to 8 lbs. 11 ozs. and as of today turned 9 weeks old. This puts him barely in the 1st percentile. His weight gain has slowed again so now our pediatrician is bringing up the same two concepts again 1. burning too many calories during nursing and 2. my breastmilk being skim. Does anyone know of any good, research-based information on these topics that I could read and take with me to my next appt? I am not finding anything.

This link compares the calorie content of various milks: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories/. See the references at the bottom for the primary literature.

This one discusses the fat/calorie content of breastmilk in more depth: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/

This one discusses methods for increasing weight gain: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/weight-gain_increase/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ask your phisician what evidence he has that breastfeeding burns more calories than other means of feeding or that mothers can make skim milk. is this the breastfeeding freindly one from the hospital? if not, can you call that one for help?

the idea that breastfeeding burns more calories is tricky because of course if baby is nursing and nursing without getting anything, or much of anything, that would be true, just as a baby who is sucking on an empty bottle (or a pacifier for that matter) is certainly using more energy than they are taking in. but that does not make breastfeeding inherently 'harder.' there is a study that showed babies are more stressed by bottles.perhaps premature babies? ..i might not have time to look it up today so any help there apprciated...

to me it makes sense for weight gain to slow as they were feeding him extra in the hospital. right? how slow is slow?

some babies have to be in the 1% just as some have to be in the 99%. being on the chart at all is a gain, right?

how does your baby look to you? how is output, milestones etc?

What made things go well in the hospital? Supplements? Rest? Care for you? Medical staff? Unknown factors? I'm assuming you didn't stop nursing in the hospital. Is there another Pediatrician you could see? Of course you want to address any growth problems, but it doesn't seem like breastfeeding is the concern. If it were, things shouldn't have gone so well in the hospital since they had you breastfeeding there.