Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician Told Me To Stop Breastfeeding

Default Re: Pediatrician Told Me To Stop Breastfeeding

I think LLLMeg had some excellent thoughts. Your situation is very puzzling. You've been doing everything right, yet your baby hasn't been gaining weight the way he should. The one thing that's just obvious to me is that whatever is going on, your milk isn't the problem. There's just no such thing as a mom who makes calorie-deficient milk. In fact, in a side-by-side comparison breastmilk generally averages slightly more calories than formula. Which is why, in your shoes, I would haul out the pump again and start pumping. 3 oz of breastmilk should be more calorie-dense than 3 oz of formula, and pumping out the supplements rather than getting them from a can will keep your supply equal to baby's needs.

I would also think about getting a professional scale, and doing your own weigh-feed-weigh tests at home. It's great that you did one (at the LC's office, I guess?), but one data point doesn't tell you much because milk intake is so variable. You want several days' worth of data before you draw conclusions about what your baby's average nursing intake is.

The final thing I would encourage you to do would be to see a different pediatrician- fresh eyes may see further!- and ask about additional testing for metabolic issues. There are a lot of metabolic diseases which get missed because they are rare, sometimes very rare, and that means they don't get included in the usual tests. I'd want to know what exactly your LO has been tested for thus far, and then discuss expanding the panel if necessary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

lllmeg,

The weight concern was raised within the first week. The dr delayed his circumcision to 2 weeks bc of the weight concern. I was told by the dr that a 10% weight loss was where they drew the line and that is when we started supplementing with pumped breast milk through a SNS system.

I would love to nurse him more frequently. I have reduced the number of times I nurse him per day at pediatrician request. Before supplements we were nursing at least 10 times a day.

When he was pooping 8 times a day it was the yellow, watery, seedy poops that were almost completely liquid.

I think that I am going to start nursing him more frequently again and reducing the supplements. We go into the dr twice a week for weight checks with the LC. I am just going to have to stand up for myself and ask them to run other tests instead of stopping the breastfeeding. I may also start asking around to see if anyone knows a dr who is really supportive of breastfeeding. Our dr says she is, but her actions do not seem like it. They worked with us on his latch in the beginning, but we may need to have them reevaluate.

Thanks for your help!

Sigh. Sometimes docs are supportive of breastfeeding in theory, but in practice when they run out of ideas they start blaming the one thing they cannot easily measure: breastfeeding.

When you say your LO's pre-supplement poops were liquid, were they soak-right-into-the-diaper-leaving liquid-no-solid-portion-on-the-surface liquid, or just very loose, maybe the consistency of thin yogurt or watery cottage cheese?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

my 6 week olds poops are very watery too-way more watery than i recall my older kids being. I figured its due to forceful letdown. her weight gain fine.

Hi everyone!

Here's an update on our situation. We went back to the doctor on 9/13 and he had gained to 7 lbs. 15 oz. which means he gained 7 oz. in 3 days. The doctor was very happy, but it still only puts him in the 3rd percentile on the breastfed baby weight chart for a 6 week old and that was with him taking 16-20 oz. of formula in addition to nursing about 5-6 times a day. I am sure that we were overstuffing him, but the pediatrician said that it is what we need to do.

After this appt. I decided that I was going to go back to breastfeeding on demand and frequently and begin slowly eliminating the supplements. We have an appt. tomorrow and I have reduced his formula intake to 9 oz. over the last week. I am really hoping that he has continued to gain so that I can reduce the supplements even more, since now we are breastfeeding about 12 times a day.

He seems to have a period from about 5-8 pm where he nurses continuously before he can get full. From what I have read in other posts, I am thinking this is normal. I will try to write another update tomorrow after the appt. I am praying that he gains weight so the pediatrician won't blame the breastfeeding.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yes, it is normal for ALL babies to have an I must nurse constantly time in the evenings. This is instinctual and good for your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, our appt today did not go well. In the week and a half of nursing 12+ times a day (on demand) and reducing supplements to 12 oz of formula per day he lost 2 oz. The pediatrician is readmitting him into the hospital tomorrow morning for further testing. I just don't understand how I am nursing around the clock, maintaining a good supply, supplementing 12 oz a day and he still has only gained 10 oz in his 7 weeks of life. I feel so defeated and I am afraid that at the hospital they are going to have us go to all formula.

Mama, I am so sorry! It's totally unfair that you are working so hard and not getting rewarded with great weight gain.

I don't think the readmission is the worst idea in the world. Will you be able to stay with him? I assume the hospital will have really good scales- maybe try doing some weigh-feed-weigh records while you're at the hospital? That way you could get a sense of how much baby takes in during the average feeding.

I am so sorry, this must be SOOO frustrating and scary for you. If your baby is eating that much and LOSING weight then that suggests there is an underlying medical issue, so is that why they are readmitting your baby? For tests?

Agree with mommal, I suggest you arrange for several before and after nursing weight checks if you can to see what the heck is going on. Maybe your baby cannot transfer milk well?

You are not powerless. Even if they want to supplement with formula, you can request that your baby also be given your breastmilk and that you are allowed to nurse your baby. They would have to have a medically based reason for going to all formula. Ask what it is. Saying your breastmilk is low fat is not a medically based reason as, unless I am very much mistaken, that is not based in medical facts.

I wonder if your baby's doctors would consider contacting a breastfeeding experts who are also physicians-, like Dr. Jack Newman, Dr. Sears, or the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. Or if YOU could contact them. A mom on here was recently e-mailing with Dr. Newman...
    ABM has protocols written for physicians...http://www.bfmed.org/Resources/Protocols.aspx

I am a mom who recently emailed with Dr. Newman. He was very responsive (sometimes emailing me several times in one day). He strongly requests short, concise emails to start and then will ask more questions/invite longer emails later. He also welcomed both our IBCLC and my OB to contact him regarding our issues, so I'm sure he would be willing to talk with the hospital doctors. Email address and contact instructions are on his website - just google his name.

Thoughts are with you, mama! My older son had a whole host of problems with growth (because of his prematurity) and we've had many hospital stays. Take care of yourself and never forget that you are the mama and know your baby better than anyone there. They're *working* for you and your family....