Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt or not enough milk?

Default Growth spurt or not enough milk?

Hello all! I mentioned this is a previous post but wanted to dedicate a post to it so I can get some good answers. Recently my 2 and 1/2 week old daughter has been going longer between feedings...every 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Yesterday, all day, she woke every 3 hours to eat. Last night, she woke every 2 hours! I feel like we are walking backwards! Is she in a growth spurt or is she maybe not getting enough milk during feedings?!

Default Re: Growth spurt or not enough milk?

It's almost certainly just normal infant behavior. Many babies are born somewhat sleepy, and will go as long as 3-4 hours between nursing sessions, sometimes even longer! This actually isn't ideal- a newborn who is routinely going 3-4 hours between feedings should be woken to nurse every 2-3 hours during the day, in order to ensure that the baby gets enough milk. As time goes on and babies become more alert, most of them start to adopt a pattern of more frequent feedings. Nursing every 1-2 hours is totally normal, and in no way an indication of supply problems.

You should suspect supply problems only if your baby produces less than the minimum number of wet and poopy diapers in a 24 hour period, or is not growing or developing at a normal pace.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Growth spurt or not enough milk?

Wow a really new baby! Congratulations!

with mommal. I would not say this is a growth spurt, since the first several weeks are one long growth spurt. At this age you want your baby nursing a minimum of about 10-12 times per 24 hour day, and that is typically going to include frequent nursing overnight as well.

This is another area where our societal obsession with "how is baby sleeping" and the idea that babies 'should' sleep longer as they get older backfires. Yes, of course, as a baby gets older, they can take in more milk at the breast at once, and their tummies get larger, they increase time lapse between nursing-and this eventually translates into longer sleep stretches at night, just naturally. (No "training' needed.) But this is an extremely gradual process over many, many months. And all along there is lots of normal 'backsliding' for lack of a better term where a baby who was going, (these times are just an example) 4 hour sleep stretch at night suddenly wakes every 1.5 hours to nurse. Normal and healthy.

This article may be helpfu to you. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/ Also this thread http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...much-Read-this!