Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return to work - not keeping up with baby

Default Re: Return to work - not keeping up with baby

Thanks, tinismom, that's an idea we hadn't thought of! We use the Tommee Tippee bottles and the slowest nipple they have, stage 1.

Lilpats-mama, its good to hear someone else's experience at the same age! I'm really hoping he doesn't need 15 oz all the time, but I'll keep it in mind that he might. I'd rather increase solids and get his nursing in when I'm there, though.

Today did seem to go better. He was less fussy, and DH thought maybe he'd been a little under the weather the past 2 days and that's why he was hungrier. Today he took 12 oz, which is closer to what I think he should.

Either way I will add another pumping session at work. That will make 4 pumping sessions in a 9-hour day. I'm sure my boss thinks I'm just always pumping and never working (and it feels like it to me too), but I couldn't give up any more sleep to pump at night! (DS still nurses every 2-3 hours at night anyway.)

Tinismom, what brand of bottle & nipple did you find worked for you to get actual SLOW flow?

What kind of pump are you using? Are you doing breast compressions to maximize output? Eating oatmeal? For 12 hours, 3 pumpings is just BARELY enough. It would work for some women, but some women need to pump more frequently, every 3 hours. Adding one session, even a short one, might help you get those extra ounces that you need. I agree, 15 ounces for a 12 hour shift sounds just about right to me, I don't think that's overfeeding the baby. But since baby is eating solids, if you can't pump more, I would just make sure he's eating food and getting plenty of fluids (like water). Yogurt is awesome.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Joe's Mom, yes, I'm doing all those things, and using an Ameda Purely Yours pump, bought new when DS was born. Suction is fine.

I am not sure how you are figuring pumping times? If I pump every 3 hours, that is 3 times during my work day (6am - nurse; 9am; 12pm; 3pm - pump; 6pm - nurse). I have increased that to 4 times during the day, which is every 2.5 hours. Have not yet noticed an increase after 2 days of that schedule (and seems like I am constantly in the pumping room and not at my desk), but I will keep it up and see.

DS does seem to have settled into eating 4 oz or less each bottle, every 3 hours while I am gone, and I think this should be sustainable but still need to get my output up a bit.

I thought you said you were gone for 12 hours a day? That would be four sessions. If you're only gone 9 hours, three is fine.

Can you work while you pump? That's what I do. Otherwise, I'd never be able to bill my hours for the day.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.