Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to work - not keeping up with baby

Default Return to work - not keeping up with baby

I've just gone back to working outside the home, and I'm not keeping up with the milk baby is drinking!

DS is 8 months old, 18 lbs, and I've been back to work 1 week now. 1st two days, he took 7 and 8 oz from a bottle. Next day, 10 oz. Then weekend, lots of nursing. Yesterday he took 11 oz, today he took 15!!! We've been defrosting frozen supply to keep up, but it's running out.

Each day I pump a little more than previous, but no way can I keep up if the kid routinely downs more than 12 oz a day.

I know there are ways to increase the supply, starting with adding a pumping session (which would be a huge headache but possible). What I want to know is -- is DS's increase normal?

When he was 4 months, I went into the office for a few days and he took ~12 oz per day then. So DH was surprised the first couple of days were so low, but DS is on solids now, so I thought maybe this was his new normal. He gets solids 2x a day. Then he increased every day!

Is there an 8-month growth spurt that could be causing this? DS has been extra fussy these past few days, and his nap schedule has been off. He's been crawling for a couple of weeks now, and is trying to cruise on the furniture. Or is it possible he's adjusting to having me out of the house (even before I left, DH was the primary caretaker, but I was there to nurse).

Or is DH over-feeding? He didn't like my suggestions to try and keep baby happy with less - more solids (3x a day), pacifier after the bottle (often need after nursing at night, also).

Sorry this is so long -- really I just want to know do I need to adjust my pumping/do whatever it takes to keep up with this suddenly voracious kid, or might this settle back down soon?

Default Re: Return to work - not keeping up with baby

I don't have your answer but as I'm returning to work next month I have fears about not having enough breastmilk stored and finding myself without. However my LO will be 3 mos whereas as i understand it yours is old enough to have solids incorporated into the diet - so maybe a breastmilk / solids combination is worth considering? Since there's urgency to your question and i'm definitely no expert, I wanted to suggest that you look up your local La Leche league and try and get in touch with someone by phone.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

It depends on how long you are gone. The rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz per hours away from mom, so for an 8 hour day baby will likely eat 8-12 oz.. At that age I'd prepare 2.5-3 oz bottles.

What is your pumping routine like now?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    It depends on how long you are gone. The rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz per hours away from mom, so for an 8 hour day baby will likely eat 8-12 oz.. At that age I'd prepare 2.5-3 oz bottles.

What is your pumping routine like now?
    Thx. I'm feeling good about my stash now. I've frozen 30 ounces thus far. I only pump once a day now, one side and get anywhere from 3 to 5 oz. So I could easily have another 60 oz pumped and stored between now and start of work. I probably don't even have the freezer space for that much, but we'll continue to do caregiver test bottles here and there, which will use some up.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Yeah, it's an 8-hour day + commuting. I feed him at 6am and again when I get home at 6pm. In between he's been taking 3 bottles (bottle every 3 hours). Yesterday his average bottle was 5 oz! DH prepares 3 oz usually then waits to see if DS is still hungry -- yesterday he really seemed to be!

I try to pump 3x a day while gone on the same schedule as the baby, but it's a struggle to get 4oz each time, which is my goal (but even then baby needs to be happy with12 oz a day, not 15!).

Really I just wanted to hear if anyone else had similar experience at 8 months...

hw- how long are you away from your baby?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie, 11 hours (but I nurse about an hour before I leave, since he's always hungry when he wakes up at 6).

Your Beatrix has the same B-day as DS!

He might need 15 ounces. BUT have you talked to your husband about how hard it is to pump that much? 12 to 16ish ounces would be right for him because you're not nursing for 12 hours. How is he doing on the solids? Maybe you could try those yogurt smoothies, if it's that he wants something to drink - and just leave 12 ounces?

You're in a tough spot there, on one hand it's AWESOME to have your DH as the caregiver, on the other hand you have to be very very careful about stepping on toes.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

hw, I got pressure from the caregivers around that same age to give my LO more milk even though he had (slowly) started solids around 7 mo. I guess he was acting like he still wanted more after each of the three 4-oz bottles, so we increased them to 5-oz bottles (15 oz total while I was away), and then he was more satisfied. It was hard to keep up, and I was getting up in the middle of the night to pump for a couple of months afterward, in order to have enough to send and keep a stash for when I was away on business travel. I guess he was catching up on growing after slow weight gain in the early months! We eventually and more recently have had to supplement a bit more with organic formula (replacing some of the milk bottles) because my supply also decreased somewhat over time. Anyway, point is, 15 oz over about 10 hours was what we were doing as well at that age, and it seemed to satisfy my LO without stuffing him ...

ETA: I should clarify that the 15 oz covered the separation of about 11 hours total because I fed him at home in the morning when he woke up at ~5 am, and then again when we got home at ~5 pm.
    Last edited by @llli*lilpats-mama; September 12th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

I will just add (not to sound like a broken record since I've posted this more than once) that a truly slow flowing nipple may be all you need.

I struggle to get 1oz per hour of absence, and my DD was very grumpy after her small (2.5oz) bottles, but when I did some experimenting and found a REALLY slow flowing nipple, the same amount of milk took longer and she was happy at the end.

And that was a change from a "slow flow" nipple in one brand to a different brand. They're not all created equal. Try them yourself - the one that makes you blue in the face is really slow flow!

Something to try...
    Mom to daughter C (10/30/11) delivered by midwives in unmedicated birth. EBF after breast augmentation, CD, baby wearing, part time co-sleeping, WOHM.

SAVED by LLL meeting in week one. (no milk for first SEVEN days!)

Weaned DD at 20 months.

Next one due in Feburary 2014!