Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! It's been 2.5 hours of fussing and no eating.

Default Help!! It's been 2.5 hours of fussing and no eating.

DD seems to have a fussy time every evening around 6:30 or so. Once we're in that fussy period she's hard to nurse; she will latch on and then pull off and cry and do this over and over. Usually I can get her over it pretty quickly by cuddling her for a few minutes to calm her down and then she'll eat fine. Tonight she started fussing at 6:30 but has yet to eat. I've tried everything I can think of! We've had a warm bath, lots of cuddling with DH and myself, rocking, singing, etc. But everytime I try to feed her she latches and cries, latches and cries. I'm now starting to get sore from being too full as she's been nursing every 1-1.5 hours the past few days. What can I do to get her to nurse????
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Default Re: Help!! It's been 2.5 hours of fussing and no eating.

Just wanted to say you are not alone. I also have been blessed with a newborn who has a very challenging few hours every night! What worked for me the oterh night when nothing else did was turing on the kitchen fan standing under it, and singing the same lullabye over and over. After 30 minutes of that she finally nursed to sleep. Last night she had her fussy time in the car and she stopped when my older boys made crinkling noises with empty plastic water bottles. Will it ever work again? Who knows!

If you are feeling full and baby just will not nurse, can you try hand expressing or just massaging a little milk out in the shower? If you have a pump, you can pump too, but just pump "to comfort," don;t pump too much or you will increase milk production more.

hand expression http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

fussy baby ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf

You're definitely not alone. Both my girls were evening fussers. You could set your watch by the first one. She fussed and screamed from 7 pm to 9 pm from 3 weeks until 3 months. Because I was a new mom and having problems with nursing, I ended up giving her an evening bottle. Wth my second, breastfeeding was going really well and I was more experienced, so I used the following tricks to calm:
    - Nurse, nurse, nurse, and nurse some more (if baby will do it)
    - Motion (rock in rocker, swing, bounce on exercise ball, stroller ride, etc.)
    - Calm house (lights, tv, and stereo down or off)
    - White noise (radio static, vacuum cleaner noise)
    - Warm bath
    - Trip outside (seriously, this one is MAGIC!)
    - Snuggle baby close in a sling
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, right or wrong, when we hit three hours of this business last night I decided to go ahead and pump a little bit. I pumped an ounce and had DH give DD the milk in a bottle. I was able to walk away for a few minutes to regroup (I was getting so upset and concerned about DD not settling down). She took the bottle right away without any fussing and that also put her to sleep. THen I was able to nurse her pretty well-I'm assuming because she was so relaxed at that point. My goal tonight is to feed her around 6:00 to beat the fussy period so hopefully she won't reach the point of being so "hungry" that she gets more worked up.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Ds was the same except his was 2 am to 5 am. Fussing is a mild way to put it for us. Good idea to let dh handle it for a bit, I called my mom over several times. I agree with mommal, trips outside are amazing. I think dr sears recommends an evening walk to prevent fussies as well so maybe that and your idea of nursing earlier might help

My goal tonight is to feed her around 6:00 to beat the fussy period so hopefully she won't reach the point of being so "hungry" that she gets more worked up.
    That's a good idea. Assuming you are already cue feeding-nursing baby at her earliest cues, prior to crying*-it certainly may help to ANTICIPATE baby and offer to nurse prior to any cue. Basically, I think it never hurts to 'ask' baby if they would like to nurse! If you have been sceduling feedings or trying to go a certain amount of time between feedings, then I suggest, offer to nurse at the earliest cue assuming baby cues often enough.

* Of course a few babies go from zero to 60 in 3 seconds and are crying before giving any other cues.

I have been cue nursing only-no scheduling here. I tried to feed DD at 6:00 tonight but she was in such a deep sleep I absolutely could not wake her! We tried everything, my husband even rubbed an ice cube on her feet!!! So back in her car seat she went (we were visiting my parents and she was sleeping in the car seat when we arrived). She finally woke up around 7:00 and then it started!! I tried nursing her before we left for home but she was too fussy. I had no choice but to strap her in and head out. She fuses on and off in the car and was able to nurse great when we got home. So much for my sneaky plan!
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz