Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in Poop

Exclamation Blood in Poop

I have a 6 wk old baby girl who has blood streaks in her poop for about 2 weeks. Her poops are very smelly for a newborn and very forceful. My pediatrician suggested that I eliminate dairy, eggs and peanuts. I have eliminated them all. However, I believe I might have oversupply/overactive letdown. My daughter is able to finish a feeding in less than 15 minutes and is satisfied. She does not want to stay on the breast after about 10 minutes. If she does she is not eating she is sleeping. She is gaining weight and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I have tried laying on my back so she eats against gravity and I feed on one breast at a time. I tried doing 2 feedings on one breast before switching to the other and clogged up my milk ducts and had a fever so I had to pump to relieve it. It has been 2 weeks and I don't see any changes. I am looking for some advice on what I should do. Does the oversupply/letdown correct itself as my milk supply adjusts?

Default Re: Blood in Poop

Welcome to the forum!

I think you're right to be hesitant about the food eliminations. Oversupply is more common than food allergies and can cause bloody streaks and specks in a baby's poop. Before you decide that oversupply is to blame, you want to be sure that you have oversupply. So here are some symptoms- see if they match!
    - Fast feedings, often as little as 5-10 minutes.
    - Baby gains weight rapidly.
    - Baby may require only one breast per feeding.
    - Baby may frequently pull off the breast while nursing, or may fuss and cry while nursing.
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast.
    - Mom frequently feels engorged or full.
    - If mom is pumping, she may be able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease.
    - Mom may have a very strong letdown sensation (or none at all- not all women experience the letdown sensation).
    - Babies poops may be consistently or frequently green.

So, does all or a lot of that apply?

Oversupply usually corrects itself within the first few weeks or months of breastfeeding, just via the natural supply = demand feedback system. When baby takes less milk than mom produces, the mom's body gets the message to throttle back on supply. Sometimes the body doesn't respond to that message fast enough, and in that case it may be necessary to block feed (use just one breast for 1 or more feedings in a row).

One thing you probably don't need to worry about is the bloody poops. When baby is growing well, not exhibiting additional symptoms of allergy (excema, asthma, etc.), and the blood is limited to streaks or specks, bloody poops are usually nothing to worry about. They're freaky and a mom should keep a close eye on the situation, but she doesn't have to worry too much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"