Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch on latch off

Default Latch on latch off

My son was born at 38 weeks and is now 4 weeks old today. He seems to be very incoordinated he gulps air, sometimes coughs and sputters, he snorts, grunts, is INCREDIBLY difficult to burp, so I can't get the air he has gulped out. He feels like he is biting when he latches, it's his tongue moving back and forth across his bottom gums, he latches on and drinks while he his pulling backwards and unlatching, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've nursed my daughter. So I feel like I have a pretty good handle, but I'm so confused here. He was in NICU for 6 days at birth and we had to bottle feed him expressed milk and formula there, so I have been working towards transitioning away from bottle cometely but worry he isn't drinking enough from the breast with his crazy nursing.

Default Re: Latch on latch off

The first possibility that springs to my mind is that baby is struggling with a forceful letdown. See this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

However, a difficult latch could also be caused by a short tongue or tongue tie. Has a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, taken a look at your baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No tongue tie, he does better after let down but still struggles of and on even close to bein empty he will gag and sputter, pull off and immediately want it back.

That sounds so frustrating! But also pretty normal, when the baby in question is so young. I mean, he's learning how to coordinate a lot of different physical stuff that he's never done before- breathing, swallowing, sucking, maintaining his head in the right position... It's a lot of skills to coordinate at once! Especially if mom has a bit of an oversupply and the milk is sometimes pouring out faster than baby can drink- is that a possibility?

Still, i think it might really pay for you to see a LC, preferably an IBCLC, for some hands-on help. It would be really good to know whether or not that wonky latch is effective at getting milk out, right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"