Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: offering same bottle for next feedings

Default offering same bottle for next feedings

I have 2 questions:

1. If you warm a bottle of breast milk and baby starts feeding from it, how long is it good for? I've heard it's fine to save for the next feeding, but is it OK to put it into the fridge and offer it the next day?

2. What if you warm it but baby doesn't ever feed from that bottle?

My DH says that he needs to warm a whole bottle of milk from the fridge even if he's only going to put part of it into a bottle for feeding because it's impossible to get mixed while it's cold. I'm wondering if it makes a difference in whether or not he can save it for the next day if it's warmed but baby has eaten from it vs it's warmed but baby hasn't eaten from it.

I think the best solution is to just divide my milk into smaller quantities before I put into the fridge, but I have a 4-oz bottle in my fridge right now that I'd rather not dump down the drain.

I'm interested in both the "official" answers and the "real life" answers. Thanks!

Default Re: offering same bottle for next feedings

I would not offer it the next day. I would offer it within about four hours, at most, if the baby has drank from the bottle. If it was just warmed up, separated and then refridgerated without the baby drinking from it, I would give it the next day. I don't know what the official answer is.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

official answers here

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.
    My real life answer if it's heated but not served from I'd put it right back into the fridge for a max of 12 hours?

In all honestly I'm not gonna lie... I would judge solely on smell and taste
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; September 11th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

also in reguards to your DH mixing the milk, have you read this:
    Don't Shake the Milk

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

Imagine a set of pop-beads assembled into a necklace or bracelet. When the beads are acting as a bracelet or necklace, they are doing their job as protective elements. When you break apart the beads, you have in your hand many individual chunks of amino acids which are then digested.

Cellular components are also susceptible to damage by physical stress. After all, they are living cells.

With mother's milk, you get at least two functions for the price of one. With manufactured formula, you only get the individual beads, never the necklace or bracelet. And never the living cells.

So, please handle human milk gently, respectfully and kindly. It's far more than perfect food for babies - it's a living tissue and protective shield too.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Helpful guidelines from Kelly mom http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    also in reguards to your DH mixing the milk, have you read this:
    Yes, thanks, he does know not to shake it. Which is why he insists on warming it--because he finds that is the only way to get the fat redistributed with just gentle swirling. I'm just going to leave a greater variety of bottle sizes, some small and some large. He can start with the large ones and know that they'll get eaten at the first or second feeding. When he's on the third or fourth bottle of the day, he can start going in smaller increments.