Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

Default Re: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

here's another link for that and some highlights below:
    To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed.
    Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.

To thaw milk

Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
    For quicker thawing, hold container under running water – start cool and gradually increase temperature.
    Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.

To warm milk

Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
    Use a bottle warmer.
    NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.
    The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.

If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    Please keep in mind that I am a first time mother. I don't know much about babies and breastfeeding at this point. I am just learning.
    Sorry I jumped on you! I was so outraged by what your pediatrician told you that I let it color my response. These ladies are giving you great information.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you! I always hated the thought of having to dump my precious milk down the drain if she didn't drank it all at her feedings. This was very helpful information. Thanks for apologizing Tracie! Your original comment did upset me because I just want to be the best mother that I can be.

you are doing great so far! We have all seen so may doctors give poor info on BF, and some daycares. Autumn gave some great links. Trust yourself mama, motherhood is a learning curve and overwhelming at times. Stick around we are here for you!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Sorry I jumped on you! I was so outraged by what your pediatrician told you that I let it color my response. These ladies are giving you great information.
    Likewise. The advice you were given makes me ridiculously angry, but not at you!!! Your pediatrician, on the other hand... Grrr! I mean, the first rule of medicine is supposed to be "do no harm" and your doc gave you advice that was literally harmful. A mom shows up with a fussy baby and the pediatrician's advice is to feed her less?!? You have to wonder what the doc will say when the baby is suddenly not growing as she should and mom's milk supply is in a tailspin. (Usually it's "You must not make enough milk. So few of the women in my practice succeed at breastfeeding- I wonder why? It can't be ME, because I give great advice! Anyway, here's some free formula to get you started, and I'll see you in a couple of months.")

Seriously, we're in NO WAY angry at you. We know you only want the best for your LO!

If you're ever tempted to drive a long distance for a pediatrician, or if you move closer to State College, Geisinger Gray's Woods is a really good practice for pediatrics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Does anyone have any advice or tips on increasing my frozen stash? I probably have just enough for her first day of daycare with a little extra in case she needs more than predicted for her first day. Other than that I have nothing. It would be nice to have extra for daycare and in case I need to be away from her for a short period of time for a reason other than work.

When are you starting work?

You can pump once a day - it's best if you do it at the same time every day, and then freeze that. Are you already doing that? I can't remember if you said you were.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Next Wednesday is when I am returning to work. I have been pumping once a day so that I can feed it to her in a bottle to have her used to the bottle. If I pumped once a day for a stash how would I know when to do it and wouldn't it be taking from her normal feedings?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    Next Wednesday is when I am returning to work. I have been pumping once a day so that I can feed it to her in a bottle to have her used to the bottle. If I pumped once a day for a stash how would I know when to do it and wouldn't it be taking from her normal feedings?
    excellent question!!!

so yes right now you are meeting her demands and what you will need to do is trick your body into thinking she has an increased demand... so if you want to keep the status quo with the one bottle a day that is fine but you will need to sneak in one extra pumping session each day. it's best to do this after your LO has fed and to try your best to do it at the same time each day. for the first few days you probably won't get but a few drops but please do not get discouraged! your body will take the increased demand and ramp up your supply to meet it... after a few days you will have some success and you should be able to generate a few extra oz in a week.

important note about this next statement:
    It would be nice to have extra for daycare and in case I need to be away from her for a short period of time for a reason other than work.
    every time your lo gets a bottle of your milk you need to pump, where you are or where you are going should not matter, if she feeds, you nurse or pump.... this will assure your supply is matched to her demand at all times. it's tempting to just run out for a mani pedi and have DH feed a bottle or let DH get up in the middle of the night to feed said bottle while you sleep but the reality is you MUST pump for each bottle, so before you run out for the mani pedi, PUMP or if DH feeds a bottle in the middle of the night PUMP, for this very reason we NEVER used bottle in the middle of the night because I can co sleep/feed baby while resting/sleeping but I cannot do that while pumping so what worked for me to give me a bit of relief was DH would feed LO a bottle while I pumped and then took a hot shower .
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

How much are you giving her in the bottle? How much do you pump that one time that you've been pumping? I would just give her half an ounce or an ounce to keep her used to the bottle. And then, after next Wednesday, I would not give her any bottles at home. How many ounces do you have in the freezer right now?

Are you pumping when she's getting that bottle?
    Tracie

Mommy to