Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

Default Re: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

I have been pumping before a feeding (which usually gives me anywhere from 2-3 depending on how long since her last feeding) and giving it all to her right after. I have about 13oz in the freezer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    you will need to sneak in one extra pumping session each day. it's best to do this after your LO has fed and to try your best to do it at the same time each day. for the first few days you probably won't get but a few drops but please do not get discouraged! your body will take the increased demand and ramp up your supply to meet it... after a few days you will have some success and you should be able to generate a few extra oz in a week.
    about how long would you suggest I pump for after one of her feedings? I had also contemplated waking up a few hours after her last feeding for the day when she is asleep for the night (actually only about 4-5hours on average but very much appreciated )

Another off the topic question: When she is sleeping in the sling during the day how do I know when she needs to eat? I swear she can sleep for hours and hours in this thing. Should I wake her up to eat and so that she will sleep at night? Or is the waking them to eat during the day so they'll sleep at night just another myth? But should I still wake her to eat regardless of the night sleeping issue to ensure that she doesn't miss a feeding because I missed a feeding cue somehow?
    Last edited by @llli*agh717; September 12th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Great advice from PP!!! And do keep coming here momma... we were all FTM at one point and no one has all the answers. That's what is so great about sites like this.
    My first baby was my DH's 3rd, and he had been a sole care-taker of the second child so you would think he would be a pro - nope, we still went through things he had no idea what was going on.

I would like to add that there is no need for a bottle daily to get your LO used to it. If your LO is taking a bottle you should be just fine when going back to work without the need to add a pumping session (not to mention bottle and pump cleaning blah). And I am not sure if you mentioned it or not, but is your daycare provider familiar with feeding a breastfed baby? If not then it will be important to share that info with them- it is different than a formula fed baby. Here is a link on that subject as well Here

Also, I always found that I could pump once in the middle of the night if LO took a longer stretch than normal (usually he woke 1-2 hours but would occassionally give me 3 hours). I had a small freezer stash when I returned to work and found I didn't need it. Around 9 mo or so my supply dipped (totally normal) and I was concerned, but I still managed enough to send milk each day and just nursed as much as possible when we were together.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    Another off the topic question: When she is sleeping in the sling during the day how do I know when she needs to eat? I swear she can sleep for hours and hours in this thing. Should I wake her up to eat and so that she will sleep at night? Or is the waking them to eat during the day so they'll sleep at night just another myth?
    honest answer: okay so I did not wake my son to eat after he was about 8 weeks, unless I was feeling engorged and wanted to nurse rather than have to pump. for me this meant long stretches at night of sleep. I think each mom must make this decision on her own.

about how long would you suggest I pump for after one of her feedings? I had also contemplated waking up a few hours after her last feeding for the day when she is asleep for the night (actually only about 4-5hours on average but very much appreciated )
    for this one first I'm going to caution you on putting that extra pump session late in the day. it's possible, in fact it's what I did myself BUT if I could go back in time I would have done it in the AM a million times over. reason being is that you get better results over and over I don't know why but our bodies make more milk in the morning that they do in the evening it seems.... so you can do it at night but it will be daunting and depressing (or at least it was for me.... ) I would have DH feed lo a bottle while I pumped and showered in the days before I returned to work, but then after returning to work I would nurse baby to sleep then nice long hot shower then sit my but in front to the TV connected to the pump for at least 20 minutes, sometime I only got an ounce or less and man that was hard but I NEEDED that ounce to feed my DS each day so I managed... in retrospect I would have set an alarm for an hour before he woke to pump OR nursed him in the early am then taken a shower and pumped one last time....

how long you pump is up to you but for me it was never less than 20 minutes, I would start with 10 and follow up with us here on how it's working out.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    honest answer: okay so I did not wake my son to eat after he was about 8 weeks, unless I was feeling engorged and wanted to nurse rather than have to pump. for me this meant long stretches at night of sleep. I think each mom must make this decision on her own.
    So am I understanding this right that the longer they sleep during the day without being woken to eat, the longer they sleep at night?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    So am I understanding this right that the longer they sleep during the day without being woken to eat, the longer they sleep at night?

no it just means that I didn't wake my son during long stretches of sleep at night.... and my son rarely napped at all during the day before I returned to work at 4mos (not my choice!) he just never rested unless I was carrying him in a sling or nursing for the first several months. I also would put my son down for the night at what others might consider too late... it all worked out for us and you will find your own Rhythm. i stress this word rhythm and not the word schedule because your actions should be reactions to your lo needs and not scheduled activities based on a clock or how long it's been since the last action took place.... does this make any sense?...

If I were you I would let my lo sleep and deal with whatever happens, you can try your damnedest to GUESS what will happen but each child is different and every situation is different.

ETA: if your child is less than 8 weeks old, not meeting milestones, not thriving, not producing ample daily output: DO NOT FOLLOW MY ADVICE
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I don't wake her during the night either. Everyone says if they nap too long or too much during the day they won't sleep at night. My daughter will only nap during the day if she is in the carrier. As soon as I lay her down in her crib to finish resting she wakes up. She fusses if you try to put her in her bouncer or sling and is only content napping in the carrier. I was concerned about my supply decreasing if she napped too long without eating during the day

i'd say try it and see if there any adverse side effects, if she has a horrible night maybe you wake her the next time.... I would not let her go more than maybe 3
    hours during the day at 8 weeks, at 4 months maybe 4 hours max, but again this is all my my personal opinion not medical advice...

your supply should be okay because she would just consume the same volume at a later time in the day...kwim?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I wouldn't let her go more than 3 hours during the day either - and I have woken sleeping babies that had not nursed in that long. It happened rarely at my house.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Autumn,

I tried your advice about pumping after her first morning feed (which would have to be her 3-5am feeding) once I go back to work but it was very tiring for me. She usually wakes up anywhere between those times at this point. I only did it once or twice before changing my mind (and didn't get much of anything). Last night and the night before I tried it about 2 hours after her last feed and putting her down for the night (her last feed was around 9pm and I pump around 11pm). The first night I didn't get much of anything but last night I got 2oz.

I have another question for everyone. My daughter had been on a pretty consistent schedule of waking up to nurse for her first feeding of the day between 4-5am. Once she starts DC she will need to be leaving the house around 5:20am. The last few nights she has been waking up to feed around 3am. If she continues to do this once I go back to work and she goes to DC should I feed her again before she leaves the house? Her next feed is usually around 6am or so if she wakes up at 3am.