Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

Default Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

I'm due to go back to work soon. At 7 weeks my lo was still nursing every 2 hrs but was fussy all the time. At first I thought she wasn't getting enough so I called her ped. They suggested that at her age she should be eating every 3-4hrs so they suggested that I try to hold her off for 3 hrs and pump to see what I was getting. I ended up getting about 3oz. So I started to get her as close to every 3 hours as possible. She is doing better but sometimes gets very upset before the 3 hours so I have to feed her before that. I also have been feeding her right before 'bedtime' even if it has not been 3 hrs so that she can fall asleep better. I've been trying to get her on a feeding schedule before I go back to work next week (4:30am, 7:30, 1:30, & 4:30). Should I continue doing so and have the day care lady keep her on this schedule also or let her decide when she eats. I was also going to pump at work during her feeding times. I get off at 4:30 and should be home 15mins later so I may be able to nurse her then instead of giving her a bottle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Since attempting to get her to eat every 3 hours she has been able to take naps during the day more often. However I can never get her to lay down by her self yet. She will only take naps in a carrier/sling. Any tips on that would be appreciated also.

Default Re: Going back to work soon - Start lo on schedule now?

It is NOT a good idea to schedule feed a newborn. She should be fed on demand. You got some BAD advice from your pediatrician.

ALSO she is only 7 weeks old, I can't believe that you are worried that she won't fall asleep on her own!!! Your day care provider will figure out her own way of getting your baby to sleep. You could bring the carrier for her.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Where in central PA are you? If you're in the State College area, I can recommend a pediatrics practice that tends to give much better breastfeeding advice than what you received!

It is ridiculous to think that a breastfed baby should routinely go 3-4 hours without eating. It is normal for breastfed babies to eat every 1-2 hours, or at least 8-12 times per day, with many young babies averaging 10-12 feedings per day. There's a good reason for this: milk supply = demand. Your body relies on your baby's demand in order to produce adequate supply. When a mom restricts demand, by scheduling feedings, her body will ultimately respond by reducing milk supply. This is why most moms who schedule their babies ultimately struggle to produce enough milk. So I would immediately take your baby off the schedule. The reason she sometimes cries before 3 hours are up isn't that she is "upset"- it's because she's hungry.

When it comes to daycare, I would never allow someone to care for my kid if they were going to keep her on a schedule. The baby knows when she is hungry, and the daycare provider should be responsive to her needs. When it comes to bottles, breastfed babies tend to do best when offered small, frequent feedings. This link may be useful to you and your caregiver: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

on demand feeding is what will ultimately make your baby thrive and your BF relationship successful. At work you can pump on a schedule but when you or DCP feed baby it needs to be on demand. Baby signals your body to make the exact right amount of milk, including during growth spurts and learns to self regulate their intake.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Please keep in mind that I am a first time mother. I don't know much about babies and breastfeeding at this point. I am just learning.

No I am the Altoona area. My day care lady is not requiring her to be on a feeding schedule. I don't know that much about babies, breastfeeding, and sending a breastfed baby to daycare yet. I am a first time mother just trying to learn the ropes. If she is feed on demand how do I know how much to put in the bottles and how much I total milk I need to send the first day. I seem to be producing an ounce every hour at this point. Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it. As I stated in another reply I am a first time mother so please don't fault me for not knowing all this stuff. I am just trying to do my best for my baby. That's why I registered with this site so that I can get information from the most informative source: other breastfeeding mothers. Thanks.

congratulations on your new baby!

unfortunately what the PPs say is true: all too often pediatricians give advice that undermines breastfeeding. and new moms often trust doctors (as well they SHOULD be able to), and find themselves supplementing when they didn't mean to. scheduling feedings is one of the major culprits. it's important to feed on demand to help regulate your supply, long-term. remember that breastmilk digests extremely easily - that's why it's so good for babies - but it also means they might well be hungry every hour for part of the day! overfeeding formula can be a concern, but babies can't overeat on breastmilk, because as they get full they suck more gently and thus get less milk.

another piece of advice that often undermines breastfeeding is the "pump to see what baby's getting" advice. pumps are never as effective as a baby who is able to eat well, and many women don't respond well to the pump, so it almost always underestimates supply. that being said, getting 3 oz after 3 hours is pretty normal, and indicates that you don't have a supply problem.

as far as working etc - if you're like many moms and hate to pump - then it makes sense to minimize how much you need to. as to your question about the end of day, yes, it makes sense to try to nurse her at 4:45 instead of a bottle at 4:15. lots of moms leave milk in small quantities - 3 oz, plus some 1-2 oz topoffs - so if baby is hungry at 4:15 the day care provider can give just a little until you get there and nurse. lots of moms also find it easier to go home & nurse on lunch break instead of pumping, that reduces the total number of pumps, and nursing is better for your supply (and better for baby) as well as being more pleasant for most people.

good luck! keep asking questions here!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

in reply to your latest post: this is the place to learn the ropes!

babies typically eat 1-1.5 oz per hour, so that's about what your body makes, and about what you should budget for sending to DC. the first day, if you can, it makes it easier to have a couple extra bottles ready. but soon you'll figure out how much she takes.

a good way to start out is 3 oz bottles, with some 1-2 oz topoffs like i described above. so if you're away 9 hours, send 9-14 oz, something like 4 3 oz bottles and 1 2 oz bottle. that will help pace the feedings and minimize waste. make sure the DCP knows she can feed milk a second time that day, it doesn't have to be thrown out like formula. the kellymom link is helpful.

then at work you'll pump to replace what she'll eat the next day. some moms like to have a big freezer stash to ease their mind, but you basically need to keep up with her needs on a daily basis in order to keep producing enough milk for her long-term. if you're always using an extra 4 oz from your stash, you're going to run out of milk - in the stash and in your body - REAL quick. having the stash can help smooth over rough spots, though, and it made me feel better to have one, so don't feel bad if you're in that boat too!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

no worries please don't think we are judging you, I think the alarm is more so directed at your ped's advice (scheduling) than towards you... we all understand

as for how much milk to leave this link was very helpful for me
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    in reply to your latest post: make sure the DCP knows she can feed milk a second time that day, it doesn't have to be thrown out like formula. the kellymom link is helpful.
    How long would any leftover milk from a feeding be good for?