Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant with shingles, numbness in breast

Default Pregnant with shingles, numbness in breast

Hi all,
    I did just post this in the pregnancy forum but would like as much feedback as possible. I have shingles and I am 36 weeks pregnant. Rash started 2 days ago on the left side of my back. Then the pain came around to my left breast and now I have some numbness on my left breast, on the bottom. I am just concerned since this illness effects the nerves it could effect the production of breast milk?? That is my question. Anyone ever experience this before? Anyone know if it will effect milk production?
    Baby should be fine since I am so far along. I just got off of bedrest for almost 3 months for pre term labor so as long as baby stays in till full term and my symptoms are gone he should be just fine. I am also taking the anti-viral meds for this as well. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Pregnant with shingles, numbness in breast

My sister had shingles near the end of her pregnancy and went on to nurse her son for 3 years with no ill effect. In the rare chance your left breast is affected somehow by the shingles (which I have NO idea if it even would) you at worst would have a lower supply on the left side and a full supply on the right. I had tissue damage in one breast from a horrible case of mastitis when I had my son. I had no problem nursing my daughter after that. I always had low supply in the left, but my right more than made up for it. And we're still nursing at 4 years. Mothers of twins nurse successfully with just two breasts. You're going to be fine. I hope you're feeling better soon and have a 100% recovery and extra time to rest up before the new baby arrives!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks so much for responding I was hoping somebody would! Glad to know that your sister and baby did just fine. I really needed to hear "you will be fine." Thanks for that!

She's right- you're going to be fine. I think one thing to be aware of is that many docs advise women with shingles not to nurse due to the risk that the baby might come in contact with the lesion and contract the virus. My mom was forced by poor medical advice to wean my little sister at 3 months because she developed shingles.

When your baby is born, assuming the lesions are still present, you will want to be very careful about hygiene. IIRC, it's a good idea to wash your hands carefully between touching lesion and touching baby, and you also want to cover the lesion with some sort of bandage if it's anywhere near where your baby will touch while nursing.

Did your doc give you an antiviral med? My mom is one of the very unlucky few people who have second recurrences of shingles, and the second time she recognized the pain and got an antiviral right away, and that minimized the duration and severity of the symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Your poor mom had to go through that twice how awful. Yes, I am on the anti-viral. Luckily the rash is on my upper back and completely covered when regular clothes are on. There is no way anyone could come in contact with it unless I had my shirt off and they hugged me. I am hoping to hang in with this pregnancy for at least 4 more weeks since I am 36 weeks but have had some pre term labor to deal with. Hopefully the shingles will be gone by then and won't need to worry. Thanks so much for the reply.
    , While at work I . Happily (for part of the night)
    Made it to ONE!!!