Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 weeks-l latching issues

Post 11 weeks-l latching issues

I have been trying to EBF but it has been a challenge . I wanted to EBF but at the hospital that I conceived at they were not helpful in helping me and baby learn to latch properly and basically forced me to bottle feed my LO. When I got home I tried to BF but baby wouldn't latch finally I saw a lactation consultant (she was wonderful). Things got better but I felt like baby was not getting enough milk and started to take a perscription to help increase milk supply. Then I guess I got overwhelmed or lazy (and it was hard to EBF since I constantly have visitors and family who I'm not comfortable BF'ing in front of ie. my dad) and just decided that BF'ing wasn't a nice and peaceful experience for my LO or me so I would pump and supp. with formula.
    Now I regret it and would like to EBF but baby is not latching again. I feel at a loss. I wish I hadn't stopped in the first place. Any suggestions? Am I too late?

Thanks.

Default Re: 11 weeks-l latching issues

It is NOT too late. Babies are brought back to the breast at several months and even over a year old. Adopted babies who never nursed can be taught to nurse. But the longer you wait, the harder it gets, of course.

Are you still pumping? How much does your baby eat at this point of formula vs. expressed breastmilk?

Can you see the LC again to help with latching issues and weaning off the bottles/formula? What is the problem at this point-baby will not try to latch, or latch hurts, or what?

(and it was hard to EBF since I constantly have visitors and family who I'm not comfortable BF'ing in front of ie. my dad)
    Anyway around this? You need to be able to nurse in your own home pretty much anytime esp. when establishing or trying to reestablish breastfeeding.

Default Re: 11 weeks-l latching issues

I am still pumping but now I think my supply has decreased as I was getting 5oz in a 35min pump and now I am only getting 2-3oz. I pump 3x a day so he is getting probably 6-10oz Bmilk to 30-35oz formula.
    I guess I could go back to the LC to ask for help, just feel embarassed that I gave up and didn't go back in the first place.
    I have had a frank conversation with parents concerning this and shouldn't be an issue from now on.
    Thanks.