Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 ½ mo sleeping through the night, worried about milk supply

Default 5 ½ mo sleeping through the night, worried about milk supply

Hi everyone,
    recently my 5 ½ month old son has started sleeping for 8 hour stretches most nights before waking to feed around 4 or 5 in the morning. This is obviously great, I have so much more energy now that I'm getting consecutive, unbroken sleep.
    BUT...
    when my son was about 3 months we had problems with weight gain and low milk supply and had to supplement for a while. We phased out the supplements when he was 4 months. Whilst he is still very slender (71 cm and 6,89 kg) he is gaining weight as he should just on breastmilk.
    Now that he is sleeping for so long at night, I worry that my milk supply will drop again. Should I pump before I go to bed around 22/23? Or trust that my body and my son will work things out between them?
    I should say he is already getting some solids, just for tasters, but no substantial amounts yet.
    Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: 5 ½ mo sleeping through the night, worried about milk su

Will he dream feed before you go to bed? That might be better than pumping.

Personally, I would just watch it for a bit. Enjoy the sleep! I would imagine if he isn't getting enough during the day/one night feeding, he'll start to wake up again. When my LO started sleeping longer she started to nurse more vigorously and for longer first thing in the morning to make up for it.

I second the dream feed idea. I have done it with both of my kids for different reasons. My first woke up a lot at night, so the dream feed helped me get a longer stretch of sleep without him waking up from being hungry. My second, who I am BFing currently, sleeps too long and I get plugged ducts, so I dream feed her to empty at least one breast before heading to bed. Also, since going back to work, I like to get in that one extra nursing session to keep my supply up.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.