Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dr. Told me to quit nursing to take antibiotic

Default Dr. Told me to quit nursing to take antibiotic

This is somewhat embarrassing but I have bacterial vaginosis, and need to take the oral antibiotic metronidazole (Flagyl).

The nurse at my OBGYN office told me I can't nurse while I'm taking this medicine.

My DS is almost 21 months and I am okay with weaning but doing it cold turkey to take this medicine doesn't sound like a good idea to me. At the same time I need to get rid of these symptoms and clear up the infection but I don't want to just cut him off cold turkey. We are only nursing at nap time and bed time and occasionally early in the morning when he first wakes up. He is very attached to his "nom noms" and gets very upset and inconsolable when he can't have mama milk.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Dr. Told me to quit nursing to take antibiotic

Call infantrisk and check out the info there on whether or not it's safe. And if it truly isn't safe contact Dr. Jack Newman via e-mail about a possible substitute.

Way too lazy for formula

Wean for BV? Heck no! Call infant risk but if it's not safe I'd be surprised if there wasn't another med that is acceptable
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Most drugs are excreted into breast milk in small amounts (ie, less than 5% of the motherís dose corrected for the infantís body weight) and are generally considered safe to use because it is thought that full-term infants can handle that amount of drug. Use of metronidazole during breastfeeding has been controversial, however, probably because it is excreted into breast milk in relatively large amounts, up to 20%. Despite this, there have been no reports of adverse effects on breastfed infants of mothers who took metronidazole.9 Furthermore, in a group of 12 mothers who received 400 mg of metronidazole three times daily and breastfed their babies, no adverse reactions were seen in any of the babies.10

References

Rhône-Poulenc Rorer. Product monograph (Flagyl®). Ville St-Laurent, Que: Rhône-Poulenc Rorer; 1999.
    Finegold SM. Metronidazole. Ann Intern Med 1980;93:585-7.
    Beard CM, Noller KL, OíFallon WM, Kurland LT, Dockerty MB. Lack of evidence for cancer due to use of metronidazole. N Engl J Med 1979;301:519-22.
    Cantu JM, Garcia-Cruz D. Midline facial defect as a teratogenic effect of metronidazole. Birth Defects 1982;18:85-8.
    Piper JM, Mitchel EF, Ray WA. Prenatal use of metronidazole and birth defects: no association. Obstet Gynecol 1993;82(3):348-52.
    Czeizel AE, Rockenbauer M. A population based case-control teratologic study of oral metronidazole. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1998;105(3):322-7.
    Burtin P, Taddio A, Ariburnu O, Einarson TR, Koren G. Safety of metronidazole in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995;172(2 Pt 1):525-9.
    Caro-Paton T, Carvajal A, Martin de Diego I, Alvarez Requejo A, Martin Amas LH, Rodriguez Pinilla E, et al. Is metronidazole teratogenic? A meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1997;44(2):179-82.
    Thomas Hale. Medications and motherís milk. Amarillo, Tex: Pharmasoft Medical Publishing; 1998. p. 455.
    Passmore CM, McElnay JC, Rainey EA, DíArcy PF. Metronidazole excretion in human milk and its effect on suckling neonates. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1988;26(1):45-51.

Dr hale is cited (9) but worth a call tomorrow
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

For what it's worth I took metronidazole (twice!) due to a recurrent serious infection when DS was 7 months old and did not notice any effects on him. However my infection was life-threatening so the benefits definitely outweighed the risks for me. You may be able to take it, or else see if there is something else safer that you can take.