Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is the first postpartum period like...?

Default What is the first postpartum period like...?

Some background: I am EBF my 3.5 month old baby, I have never supplemented with formula, she will occasionally (couple times a week) take a bottle from my fiance, and I am on Micronor (the mini-pill).

Sorry if this is TMI, but need some answers! About 3 weeks ago I had some dark brown discharge that turned slightly reddish but never soaked up even a pantiliner. It lasted for 3 days and I worried that I had already gotten my period back. I also wondered if it was some breakthrough bleeding/spotting and not my normal period...

Does anyone have experience with first postpartum period and what it is like when EBF and on the mini-pill? Is it like a normal period in terms of heaviness and length? Or did I just have my period? I would like to know if it was my period because not having a period makes me paranoid that I am pregnant! Also, fiance has been wondering about the same thing and is also paranoid about pregnancy! Haha A bunch of worrywarts over here...

Thanks a lot
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Default Re: What is the first postpartum period like...?

I don't have any mini pill experience but I remember AF returning with a BANG during my last post-p (using condoms) versus a light spotting every once in a while with my first post-p (I was on depo).

Did you notice any nipple tenderness? How do you feel your milk supply is doing?

You can always get a pregnancy test if you have doubts or are worried! Hopefully you get some peace of mind soon.
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

It is common to have occasional breakthrough bleeding on the minipill. Especially if you are not religious about taking it at the exact same time every day. Though you mentioned that the discharge was really brown, so that might be something to bring up with your doc(?)
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

It's probably breakthrough bleeding from the mini pill.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"