Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frequent plugged ducts

Default frequent plugged ducts

Hi, my lo is almost 5 months and he is no 3 for me. I am on my 3rd of 4th plugged duct since he was born. With no 1 I had almost none, no 2 past 12 months I was getting them at least once ca month. These ones are weird because I am constantly draining them but they still hurt like the dickens and my boob gets all red. why so often? and is there any way to prevent it? brasaren't too tight, not sleeping on my tummy, not getting kicked in the chest. I don't get it.

Married and sealed to Randall 12~28~2002
    Mother to William Randall 10~13~2006

Default Re: frequent plugged ducts

Sounds exactly like me!! I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know you are not alone, not sure that helps but... DD3 is nr 3 for us too and with DD1 I had none, with DD2 I had really bad ones and also after 12 mo, go figure, I was tandem before that so I attributed to that. With DD3 I got them from very early on, I thought it was related to my sport bras but LC said that was unlikely as 1 hour, 4/ 5 times a week shouldn't be the cause. And it's true, I had one last week after a long time.
    I think as we have more children, the ducts become more used, like any other thing that is not new :P
    I learned how to realize I'm getting one and I nurse double the amount on the side that is plugged until it feels better. That could be my advice to you.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Well I am glad I am not alone... stinks though. I always have too much milk, and I only have a hand pump which seems to make things worse if I use it alot- obviously, it makes me have more milk. Ds has a cold right now, could be part of the problem...

Womanly Art of Breastfeeding suggests taking 2 tablespoons of lecithin a day, or one 1200 mg capsule 3-4 x/day. worth a try!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Is there a need for you to be pumping right now? I mean, do you need to leave baby with bottles? Because if not, I'd put the pump on the shelf. If you have an oversupply problem, pumping will just make it worse and that will make you more prone to plugged ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had to massage my breasts DAILY in the shower and often during nursing too as a preventative against clogs with Joe. Even when I got the oversupply under control, I remained very sensitive to slight changes in our nursing schedule (or my pumping schedule at work). I had to really stay on top of any slightly tender spots, etc. I did take lecithin and it certainly doesn't hurt. But what definitely worked for me was just daily massage in the shower, daily massage while pumping (when I was at work), and massage during nursing (and frequent night nursing - because the pump doesn't empty the breast as effectively, I would get a clog if I had to pump too much because of long hours at work). It's a PITA, but now it's second nature to me to massage massage massage.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the ideas! No, I have no reason to be pumping except to get rid of excess milk, but I know it will just make it worse... Never tried giving my baby a bottle but none of my others have even taken bottles (or pacifiers for that matter). Lechtin. Wil try it, havent heard that before! thanks ladies!