Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Branch Chain Amino Acids and nursing????

Default Branch Chain Amino Acids and nursing????

This is kind of a strange question but I was curious if anyone knew of the affects of taking a BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) supplement while nursing. I read somewhere that there a couple amino acids that can cause PKU, which apparently is a serious illness (not sure exactly what it is), but these two are not BCAAs and not found in the supplement that I am thinking of taking. I know that essential amino acids come from dairy and most babies are okay with those, I just can't find any info on BCAAs. If anyone knows anything that would be great.
    Here is a list of the amino acids found in the supplement:
    L-Glutamine (there is more of this than the others)
    L-Leucine
    L-Isoleucine
    L-Valine
    L-Arginine
    Betaine
    Taurine

Default Re: Branch Chain Amino Acids and nursing????

okay so let's start with the obvious:
    why are you looking to start this supplement?
    is this something that you have taken before?
    how old is your child?

after reading a bit I would assume you are looking to start a new fitness routine and hope to couple these supplements with exercise for a desired benefit of decreased appetite and increased metabolism... both of which would be possible outcomes for taking this type of supplement. if my assumption is correct I would advise you to wait until you child is at least 2yo or has weaned before you consider this.

I am a huge supporter of amino acid supplements and well just about any type of vitamin/natural type supplements but taking ANYTHING that would adjust your metabolism or appetite could also negatively affect your child, right??? JM2C
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

for instance this bit:

Additional studies are required to clarify the appropriate amount of BCAA supplementation for beneficial effects and the responsible mechanisms.
    from here

Presented at the conference “The Third Workshop on the Assessment of Adequate Intake of Dietary Amino Acids” held October 23–24, 2003 in Nice, France.
    now that was 2003 and that's recent enough for things to be TOO risky IMO.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Sorry! Should've included the why. I'm not looking to reduce appetite or increase metabolism, those are both fine and not a concern for me. My reason for taking them is because I will soon be resuming my workouts (starting at a slower pace of course) and with breastfeeding consuming extra calories, I'm looking to preserve lean muscle mass. I understand that with exercise I will have to increase caloric intake but since it has been 3 months since the last time I ran, I was hoping to help preserve and increase lean muscle, hopefully helping prevent injury. I have taken them before but not since becoming pregnant, My LO is just over 2 weeks old.

yeah I'm glad your reasons are in line with the usage indicators and it's great that you have taken them before but I'd still stay away from them until my LO was no longer my highest priority I take Amino acid supplements as well but not at all while nursing and not while pregnant/trying to become pregnant
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

wow I cannot stop researching this now

all of this is from a bodybuilding forum

Breastfeeding women should not use any type of single amino acid or bcaas during breastfeeding. the amino acid content of the breastmilk can be changed and cause the baby to develop a deficiency of certain amino acids. AAs are asorbed in competition and if the ratio is off, you can produce a deficiency. same thing can happen with adults, but with children it is going to be more severe.
    and this
    You should never take BCAA if you are pregnant or
    nursing a baby. BCAA has an adverse reaction on infants causing liver damage as well as releasing insulin from the pancreas, which can lead to low blood sugar in your infant. While there seems to be no adverse reaction to the mother, the baby gets whato you get while it is in the womb and if you are nursing.
    but no backup links
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

and from Webmd

Branched-chain amino acids appear to be safe for most people when used for up to 6 months. Some side effects are known to occur, such as fatigue and loss of coordination. Branched-chain amino acids should be used cautiously before or during activities where performance depends on motor coordination, such as driving.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of branched-chain amino acids during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease): The use of branched-chain amino acids has been linked with lung failure and higher death rates when used in patients with ALS. If you have ALS, don’t use branched-chain amino acids until more is known.

Branched-chain ketoaciduria: Seizures and severe mental and physical retardation can result if intake of branched-chain amino acids is increased. Don’t use branched-chain amino acids if you have this condition.

Chronic alcoholism: Dietary use of branched-chain amino acids in alcoholics has been associated with liver disease leading to brain damage (hepatic encephalopathy).

Low blood sugar in infants: Intake of one of the branched-chain amino acids, leucine, has been reported to lower blood sugar in infants with a condition called idiopathic hypoglycemia. This term means they have low blood sugar, but the cause is unknown. Some research suggests leucine causes the pancreas to release insulin, and this lowers blood sugar.

Surgery: Branched-chain amino acids might affect blood sugar levels, and this might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using branched-chain amino acids at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

if you really want a definitive answer maybe Dr. Jack Newman would know?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

and an excellent and informative post with what looks to be lots of fact based info!!!

http://www.leighpeele.com/bcaas-dosa...al-populations
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Wow! Thank you for all of the information. That makes my decision easy! I was hesitant to start taking them again until I found out more and this def helps. Thanks!