Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diminishing pump output at 10.5 months?

Default Re: Diminishing pump output at 10.5 months?

I haven't decided when to move to one session. I guess sometime after the year mark. I never minded pumping that much before, because until recently I didn't have to worry about my output, but it's wearing on me mentally, now. If I thought I'd be able to continue producing 6 oz or so for awhile with just one pumping session I'd probably drop to one session right at the year mark. However, given how sensitive my supply seems to have become, I'm concerned that dropping to one session might leave me with very little milk from that one session and he'd basically have to go without breastmilk during the day. He's not ready for that, so I don't think I'll drop to one session until, in my judgement, he can go without my milk during the day if necessary. He has really picked up the solids in the past couple of weeks so we'll see. I'd like him to get some of my milk during the day until 14-15 months, if I could do that with just one session, but I'm not sure with the increasing demands of my job about keeping up my full pumping schedule with 2 or 3 pumps per day much past a year.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I thought your were trying to move to one session a day on Oct 10th. You going to push it back a couple weeks?

Way too lazy for formula

I haven't totally decided. I'll probably keep the 2 sessions a day at least until his first birthday (Oct. 29th) and drop to one session after that. I'm taking a very big licensing exam on Oct. 11th so for that one day, I may only get one pump session in, but other than that I think I'll keep it at 2 sessions a day until his birthday. After that, I think I'd like to drop to one session so he still gets some breastmilk while I'm at work. By around 14 months I'd like to drop the final pump session and be done pumping at work. That's the plan for now, anyway. We'll see how it goes.

After his first birthday, do you think it would be appropriate for my mom to offer him solids first during the day while I'm at work, and follow up with a bottle or sippy cup of breastmilk after the solids (basically the opposite of what she's doing now with offering milk first)?
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Yep. Or water even sometimes.

Way too lazy for formula