Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wean to cow's milk?

Default How to wean to cow's milk?

These message boards have been so good to me during my breastfeeding experience I thought I'd try one more time with my weaning question! What do you think is the best way to wean to cow's milk? My little one just turned one and I'm hoping to fully wean her from nursing over the next four to six weeks. I currently feed her four times a day; wakeup, before am nap, before pm nap and at bedtime. She rarely falls asleep while nursing anymore so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd say she falls asleep nursing only 5% of the time if she's REALLY tired. I was thinking of dropping one feeding a week over the next four weeks. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: How to wean to cow's milk?

That sounds like a good plan. My friend weaned her baby that way at around the same age. Does your baby like cow's milk? My friend made smoothies with whole milk yogurt, avocados and other fruits/veggies and substituted those for nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The best way to wean to cow's milk is to have a kid who likes cow's milk. Not all of them do. My first wouldn't touch it and still hardly ever does. If your LO likes cow's milk, just replace nursing sessions with sippy cups or bottles of whole milk, and talk to your pediatrician about how much you should be offering over the course of the day. If you have a LO who doesn't like cow's milk, you have to either a) continue nursing (3-5 nursing sessions per day meets all your LO's "dairy" needs without you needing to use animal milk) or b) offer a wide variety of healthy, fat and calcium-rich solids (things like leafy greens, tofu, fish, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with the pp My first hates cows and goats milk for several months and my second was fine right away.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

And, of course, you need to be sure you're still making time for the snuggles and bonding that occur with nursing.

My DD, almost 2, also gets very inconsolable if she can't have her "nuk" right away. I can't imagine actively trying to wean her. But if you make it clear that you are always available for hugs and snuggles and kisses, hopefully that should help.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010