Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk in tubing and motor

Default milk in tubing and motor

Hello!

I have a Medela Swing pump that I use when I am at work (1-2 days/week). It's about 6 months old and I only really started using it about 3 months ago.

Anyway, last week when I was using it, I noticed a little condensation in the tubing. I followed the directions in the manual for this.

Then, this week (today) the flange seemed to get backed up with milk and the tubing got a lot of milk in it and the milk got into the motor. Again, I followed the directions to clean it up.

What I am wondering is: what is causing the milk to get backed up and/or into the tubing and motor? I can't figure it out.

Thanks!

Default Re: milk in tubing and motor

how full are the bottles?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

also are you leaning at all? I think I had this happen early on when I wasn't paying attention and tilted some milk into the tubing (using a PIS)
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    how full are the bottles?
    with the condensation, it's only been about 1/3rd full, at most, when it starts. today (when milk flowed back into the motor), i was actually using a bag because i forgot the bottle part at home. it wasn't full either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    also are you leaning at all? I think I had this happen early on when I wasn't paying attention and tilted some milk into the tubing (using a PIS)
    i could be leaning. i do notice that it doesn't flow well into the bottle when i am pumping on the left side (which is the side i was on when it backed up today), so maybe i'm not holding it correctly. i'll try to be mindful of this next time (once the thing dries out!).

i hate pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evolvingmama View Post

i hate pumping.
    lol. Me!! Too!!!!

I experienced milk in the tubes with the medelas I used (lactina & symphony), I thought it might be due to my OALD or leaning forward? I never pin pointed the cause but the milk in the tubes seemed to dry up ok over time.

I hate pumping too!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Are you talKing about condensation or actual liquid? Regardless I'd call Medela they have great customer support.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Are you talKing about condensation or actual liquid? Regardless I'd call Medela they have great customer support.
    I'm experiencing both condensation (more common) and actual liquid. That's a good suggestion to call Medela.

Thanks for all the other responses. I love breastfeeding and am in no hurry to finish (hoping to carry on for a long time still), but will not be sorry when the pumping is done!