Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not storing enough for return to work

Default Not storing enough for return to work

Ive been an EBF mom who started pumping Sept 1 for an Oct 3 return to work. My LO will be 11.5 weeks then. I pump one side in the morning after my LO has nurses on the other or I pump while she's nursing. I'm only getting 1 to 3oz in this session and she nurses all day and several times throughout the night so it's tough to get another session in. Also my left is definitely the weaker producer just as of the past week so she abandons pretty quickly for the right when we used to never even switch sides. I just did the math and at the rate I'm going I'll only have at best about 90 oz stored or 3 to 5 days supply depending on her take rate. I'll pump several times a day at work but I'm concerned about my stockpile. Right now she only gets a test bottle here and there from my husband. She drinks it fast and screams for more because she's used to long nursing sessions. While I still have 3 weeks I'm looking for suggestions so I can feel more secure about leaving enough for her caretaker. I know the first week apart may be rough so a. There needs to be enough in case there's spillage, spoilage, waste/over feed (not in my control as no one else can offer a soothing breast) and b. if I'm stressed at work that may impact my pumping.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; September 9th, 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Default Re: Not storing enough for return to work

Even if you are stressed at work you will produce milk. Your stockpile is meant only to supplement what you pump, not replace it. Rule of thumb is that you leave 1-1.5oz of milk for every hour that you are way from her. So for most people the outside most left, and therefore needed to replace by pumping would be 15oz. And that is if you would be away from your child for 12hours a day. If you are away 9 the most you need to leave (and therefore replace) would be 12. So really you should be fine. You leave 12oz for day one out of your stash. Day one is very stressful and you only get 9oz. Baby gets all the fresh milk you pumped from that day the next day and you are only reaching into your freezer supply to supplement 3oz. And MOST days you probably won't need to supplement. Most days you will probably make enough milk if you pump 3 times. 90 oz is a decent sized stash and you have a month left to continue to grow it. Don't stress.
    In terms of the other thing you are talking about, find the SLOWEST flow nipple you can if your baby likes to graze and perhaps have your partner experiment either with allowing baby to suck his finger or a paci if you prefer. We used our finger at our house. Even a child who is with their mother who has a strong need to suck can and will take something else. We started this at about 5 weeks and I am glad we did. It didn't last long. He started to refuse it at about 4.5 months but in the interm, I would feed him off both breasts and then stick my finger in his mouth and he'd suck my finger for another 30-60 minutes. I was still there with him so it didn't free me up at all. Which was fine. I wanted to be with my baby. But it gave my breasts a break and let me know that he didn't need milk every time he wanted to suck. I remember thinking when he'd suck on my finger for an HOUR after feeding at nighttime that if he was still at the breast that I'd have flipped him back and forth like 3times by now! We didn't start doing this until after the 5week point so we waited until my supply was established. But I think I read somewhere that your baby is at least 7 weeks old? So I think it's safe for you to experiment with other ways to pacify your baby. OR maybe just have your partner experiment if you want to breastfeed whenever together.
    What I don't want to see if your supply wasted because your partner thinks that your milk is the ONLY thing that will quiet or pacify your child. Because it's not true. And breastfed babies being overfed simply because the baby WILL take more milk is a real problem. Bottle don't allow a baby to self regulate the way the breast does. Milk is always dripping into their mouths and the only way to avoid choking is to continually swallow. So it's good to make sure your partner is educated on how much the baby needs while away from you and given other techniques to cope while you are away.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; September 9th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Excellent advice from the PP. Just want to add this link, on bottle-feeding the breastfed baby: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/. It might be a useful thing to show your DH.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

djs.mom - one week of finger sucking still not going well. she refuses in less than a minute. The paci is such an issue for me, but i need to cave on something don't i? I really appreciate the assurance on my storage supply. Regarding bottle nipples, our 'slow flow' Tommee Tippee (TT) are def too fast but I may have an issue. I don't think the Tommee Tippee pump is compatible with any other bottle. I've researched throughout the weekend and can't find the answer. I just keep finding that other pumps like Medela can use TT bottles w/an adapter. On Monday I will call them and also call a store that specializes in the sale of breast pumps. I'm also going to post that question in the forum.

mommal - thank you for the link, my DH has all the Kelly mom guidelines. I printed and he read before the first bottle, but per note here to djs.mom our bottle nipple is indeed too fast. He just needs practice with both bottle feeding and other methods to soothe.

We are also looking at other care options. As an attachment parent I have certain preconceived notions about things and wouldn't even give day care a chance and wanted only a nanny in my home splitting time with my DH. But the reality is that I am not going to find a ME replacement and I need to think of all options. A little research shows there are infant day cares in my city where each baby is assigned a primary caregiver and the staff to client ratio is very good. I do suspect I am going to have to vaccinate more with this option when I prefer to minimize vaccinations when possible. So many decisions impacting other decisions.

In terms of the other thing you are talking about, find the SLOWEST flow nipple you can if your baby likes to graze and perhaps have your partner experiment either with allowing baby to suck his finger or a paci if you prefer. We used our finger at our house. Even a child who is with their mother who has a strong need to suck can and will take something else. We started this at about 5 weeks and I am glad we did. It didn't last long. He started to refuse it at about 4.5 months but in the interm, I would feed him off both breasts and then stick my finger in his mouth and he'd suck my finger for another 30-60 minutes. I was still there with him so it didn't free me up at all. Which was fine. I wanted to be with my baby. But it gave my breasts a break and let me know that he didn't need milk every time he wanted to suck. I remember thinking when he'd suck on my finger for an HOUR after feeding at nighttime that if he was still at the breast that I'd have flipped him back and forth like 3times by now! We didn't start doing this until after the 5week point so we waited until my supply was established. But I think I read somewhere that your baby is at least 7 weeks old? So I think it's safe for you to experiment with other ways to pacify your baby. OR maybe just have your partner experiment if you want to breastfeed whenever together. [/QUOTE]

Motivated by your response, we really made the extra effort in terms of non breast soothing options today. I have now watched my DD repeatedly refuse pacifier and finger in a variety of ways: turning her head, spitting them out, crying loudly with big open mouth so nothing can stay in and my favorite, shoving away with her hands (this was actually rather impressive and seemed advanced for an 8 week old!). I guess if at first you don't succeed...
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

You've gotten good advice already, but I just wanted to say, 90 ounces is a GREAT stash. Wow. I was thinking maybe I'd have 50-60 oz before I went back to work (I've even given some away because I don't have that much space in my freezer). It's WAY easier to pump at work when you haven't nursed in three hours. Trying to pump for a stash at home while also nursing your baby (and in my case, chasing a 3 year old, heaven help me ) is REALLY hard. I think you'll be fine, and your baby will be fine. You don't actually want to USE your stash, except for the first day. After that, if you are dipping into your stash, something is not right and needs to be adjusted (you need to be pumping more or your baby needs to be fed less). Hopefully things will go great and you'll find that most of it is never used.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    You've gotten good advice already, but I just wanted to say, 90 ounces is a GREAT stash. Wow. I was thinking maybe I'd have 50-60 oz before I went back to work (I've even given some away because I don't have that much space in my freezer). It's WAY easier to pump at work when you haven't nursed in three hours. Trying to pump for a stash at home while also nursing your baby (and in my case, chasing a 3 year old, heaven help me ) is REALLY hard. I think you'll be fine, and your baby will be fine. You don't actually want to USE your stash, except for the first day. After that, if you are dipping into your stash, something is not right and needs to be adjusted (you need to be pumping more or your baby needs to be fed less). Hopefully things will go great and you'll find that most of it is never used.

I agree!! I just went back to work a few weeks ago and I only had about 50 oz saved up and I thought that was a lot!! What I found is that once I started, I realized it was much more important that I keep up with what baby was eating on a day-to-day basis than it is what I have in the freezer. You want to replace what your baby drinks because if you don't then over time your supply will just decrease. So, to start with I've been comparing the amount that I pump each day with the amount that baby took from bottles that day. So far, I've always been a little bit ahead but if I start to bring home less than she takes, then I will know to add an extra pumping session and nurse nurse nurse at home to make sure that I stimulate my supply. My 3.5 month old has been taking about 10-12 oz in an 8 hour work day and I pump 3 times.

When I was pumping at home while nursing to build up a freezer stash and give practice bottles, I think the most I ever pumped was 3 oz. And that was a lot for me, usually it was much less. The first week I was back at work, I pumped 8 oz in one session at one point! I was amazed!! That was approaching what I needed for the whole day! I usually don't get nearly that much, but my point is, my supply didn't suddenly shoot up, it's just that my breasts were full from not nursing for 3 hours.

Also, for what it's worth, I try hard not to worry about how much I pump in one session at work. I try to focus more about the total for the day and even more about the trend over time. If I pump after 2 hours instead of 3, I expect get less milk in that session. But it's better to pump more frequently, so if you're pumping frequently enough, you probably won't get huge volumes. Or that's what I keep telling myself anyway

Good luck!! You'll be fine.
    Last edited by @llli*sprocket; September 10th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

For what it's worth, I went back to work with probably about 40 oz in the freezer, and only used about 20 of it. Pumping when you are away from the baby is a whole other ball game. I think you'll find you get more pumping at work than you would pumping at home after having nursed the baby.

Relax and have faith in yourself, it will be fine If there's a problem, cross that bridge when you come to it. Positive expectations go so far with this!