Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast to bottle

Default Breast to bottle

My son eats more frequently on my days off than when I work and he takes a bottle from my mom or husband. Is this normal?

He is 3 months old and takes 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours occasionally more. He nurses for me every 1.5-3 hours during the day.

Default Re: Breast to bottle

Totally normal, for any number of reasons. Part of it is that nursing is comforting, it's not just about eating and babies, especially very young ones, have an instinctive need to suck. A more functional reason for it, though, is that babies will drink more from a bottle than from the breast. Most babies will take around 2 ounces per nursing session. But they can't control the flow from a bottle the way they can from a breast. They tend to just continue to drink until it is all gone.

It sounds like your baby is taking a good amount of breastmilk during the day (you are supposed to shoot for 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are away), but this is a good link to share with your mom and husband about how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. It's just some helpful tips about how to mimic nursing with a bottle and prevent over-feeding.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Breast to bottle

with the PP. Breastfeeding is so much more than food!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"