Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! 10 month old with bad cold and congestion!

Default Help! 10 month old with bad cold and congestion!

My 10 month old has a terrible cold with completely blocked/stuffed nose. We have tried nasal saline, steamy showers, humidification, bulb suction (those of you with toddlers know how impossible that can be) and even low dose topical decongestants with no result. She is too plugged up to nurse and has never taken a bottle. She takes BLW solids now so I have been trying to load her up with ripe juicy fruit and add breastmilk to everything. My question, besides, does anyone have ANY other suggestions in getting her nose unplugged? is how often do I pump to keep my supply up? She nurses 8-10x a day usually, (3 of those are overnight), but some are one sided 2 minute drive-bys. We are totally off our schedule (she was able to nurse only about 3x yesterday, just one side) and I am at a loss as to how to keep up. I don't want to pump if she is able to nurse, so I find myself waiting until I'm getting engorged to do it and feel like my supply is already dropping after 3 days. HELP!!!

Default Re: Help! 10 month old with bad cold and congestion!

Have you tried putting breastmilk up her nose the way you would saline? I usually just squirted it straight from my nipple, but you could express a bit for a dropper if that's easier with a wiggly toddler. Usually I didn't even have to use the bulb after doing it, since he would snort and huff and the snot would all just come right out, . Also, I always feel refreshed if I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on the floor of a steamy shower if I'm congested. Nurse with her sitting upright rather than laying down. Hope she feels better soon!
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

I also squirt breast milk up my LO's nose when he's stuffy. It usually softens things up, he sneezes and gets cleared up.

Hope she gets better soon!

Way too lazy for formula

Breastmilk. Not a longterm fix but will clear it up long enough for her to eat more breastmilk!

Way too lazy for formula

thanks for the BM suggestions. She seems more "congested" then full of mucous. Will the BM work to shrink the mucous membranes too? Anyone with suggestions on how often I should pump with her refusing the breast?

For the pumping: try pumping for 15 minutes, both breasts every 3 hours at minimum. This should maintain your supply. At night I would suggest pumping on the schedule you usually nurse or maybe 1 less. If you feel you have lost some supply you will can regain with pumping or when baby begins nursing again or you can try fenugreek or More Milk capsules to bump your production.