Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Middle of the night pumping

Default Middle of the night pumping

Some nights my LO sleeps through the night. He is 4 months and depending on how well he feeds during the day (he is a very fussy eater with no consistancy) depends on if he wakes during the night. Reguardless I wake up and pump. Lately my breast have been engourged at night even though before at the same time each night they were just full. So now when I pump it is very watery. Should I pour off the first watery oz so I can use later and give him a good formilk/hindmilk mixture? Or should I keep it all giving him a watered down mixture? My LO won't take the breast during the day (a never ending nursing strike, I tried for over a month) so I use the milk in bottles for the next day. Does that milk have enough fat content? Should I mix the milk with other pumping sessions to even out the fat content or am I just watering down all my milk?

Default Re: Middle of the night pumping

No need to pour out milk. It's not a bad idea to mix all the milk from a day's pumping, though. Really, foremilk/hindmilk balance is almost NEVER a problem. People are way more worried about than it warrants.

I assume you're pumping at night in order to have enough bottles for the next day? Because you need the volume? I'd probably take advantage of the extra milk, then, to get a little ahead.

Keep trying to bring him back to the breast, because sometimes miracles happen, and as you know just nursing is so much easier. Good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree with PP, pumping is alot of work and some babies may suprise you and latch with no problem as they grow older!

Does he nurse as night? Sometimes babies accept the breast if not completely awake too.

Your milk isn't watered down, all milk is important!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

I agree with the PPs. All I wanted to add was a for being so perseverant in still providing breastmilk for your LO. Taking the time to pump, especially in the middle of the night, takes real dedication! So way to go!

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Thank you for your replies. I'm pumping now and I will keep all that I can get. My ultimate goal is to return baby to the breast, I really hate pumping and messing with bottles especially since I'm a stay-at-home mom. If he does wake in the night he will take my left breast. During the day he has no patience and only takes the left side so he's hungry again in an hour since one side is not enough for him. I've tried just nursing the one side to ramp up supply but it never happened. Any suggestions? I don't mind nursing from one side if he gets enough.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mara View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I'm pumping now and I will keep all that I can get. My ultimate goal is to return baby to the breast, I really hate pumping and messing with bottles especially since I'm a stay-at-home mom. If he does wake in the night he will take my left breast. During the day he has no patience and only takes the left side so he's hungry again in an hour since one side is not enough for him. I've tried just nursing the one side to ramp up supply but it never happened. Any suggestions? I don't mind nursing from one side if he gets enough.
    That is GREAT that he takes any side! Nursing him on the right side in a similar position to the left side might work. Latching and feeding well from the breast will often maintain supply better than the pump will so if he takes one side only that is OK. You could try offering the right side but if he refuses go ahead and give the left side again and see how he does.

Two of my babies took only 1 breast per feed fine, only my first needing both every couple of hours!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.