Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Screaming child!!

Unhappy Screaming child!!

I have been bfing for it will be 15 months on the 14th! I have always cO-sleepers with my daughter! I am trying so hard to get her off of night fredings. It seems I am the only way she can fall asleep. She screamed for an hour and a half. I gave in she is now on my boob,and I am crying😥I feel like this is all my fault! I feel so helpless I now see how the motherinlaw felt when I left 3 weeks ago for 1 night! Do I make my daughter cry it out laying next to me while I console her? I
    Am so lost please help. Maybe it's time to quit bfing everyone says she is getting to big.😒
    Last edited by @llli*lilaubree.mum; September 9th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Screaming child!!

Hi mama! She is definitely not too big to still be nursing! She still wants to nurse obviously, and if you felt better would you be ok with it? As kids grow up it's ok to teach nursing manners, however I think she may just really want comfort that she finds in you . If you want to night wean to make it easier, many moms have used Dr. jay Gordon's way to night wean with success.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I definitely don't think she is too old. My son is the same age and we are loving nursing at this age. I don't plan on nightweaning until he's completely done teething. By then I think he'll be able to understand that his boobies are sleeping and will wake up with the sun. I can get why you'd want to night wean though. Sometimes it'd be great to have dh comfort him. But I must ask are you weaning bc you want to or from peer/family pressure?

My DS the same age as yours (born 7/14) and I feel alot of pressure to nightwean. We bed-share and he always nurses to sleep and wakes (more lately because he has a cold) sometimes to nurse back to sleep as well.

As PP's said it is normal! Your DD has been doing this since she was born so a new routine is likely going to be met with some animosity.

I left DS with DH during an evening this weekend. Made sure to nurse him before I left and was only gone for 3 hours. DS woke up and screamed/fussed during the last hour I was gone (despite lots of comfort from DH). I've left during an evening muchlonger than that and DS was fine so I think he just wasn't tolerating my absence well (they go through stages of intense need sometimes!).

Follow your own heart mama and entertain the thought of compromising with DD. There are few instances where following their lead is ok (hey, we all know what happens to toddlers who get all of their "wants" fulfilled ). Consider this a "need" for her, and likely a temporary one!

Congrats on nursing for +1 year!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

I would cry too if you put me in the bakery and told me not to eat doughnuts. :/ If you are serious about night weaning consider separate sleep space. In the interm begin setting limits. No limits to cold turkey is and would be tough on any child, but especially one with no language. A good way to begin setting limits is to nurse until you are done singing a song. Like :"We will sing twinkle twinkle start THREE times and then it's time to stop. And then you move to two time and then one and then...done. I didn't night wean until my child was 3.5 years old. And even then it was so much easier when he slept somewhere else. He didn't wake to nurse when he couldn't smell my milk. I would nurse him down initially and roll away from him. And then when we were really working on weaning he would go bed without nursing. It's all a process best handled gradually. Your baby is still a baby. I think taking away your babies favorite thing with no process or explanation is cruel. People would never dream of doing that with a blanket or any other love transference object. So I am not sure why anyone would do that with nursing. You certainly aren't failing because you still nurse a 15month old. But limits are definitely where you begin if you are ready to nightwean.

Way too lazy for formula