Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD/OS or dairy?

Default OALD/OS or dairy?

DD is 3.5 weeks old. She was a champ at BF from the very first time and seemed fine (gas/poop wise) up until about a week and a half ago. Around 2 weeks she started arching her back and screaming/crying while trying to nurse, pulling on and off. This does not happen at every feeding-probably 3 times a day. She also seems to be a bit uncomfortable now while trying to poop or pass gas, especially in the early morning (is there a reason for the time of day?). She grunts throughout the day and scrunches her legs but not constantly. After her 5AM feeding though, she doesn't seem to sleep, she actually keeps DH and I awake with all her grunting and fussing. I do have almost painful letdown everytime she nurses or when its approaching nursing time. I am trying to determine if I have OALD/OS (pretty sure I do) or if DD has a porblem with dairy. I'm debating cutting dairy out but I LIVE on dairy products!! I could drink milk all day long; I eat yogurt a few times a week, eat cheese almost daily, and enjoy ice cream in the evening a few days a week. I read in another thread that someone's baby had normal yellow seedy poop so they didn't think the baby had a problem with dairy.... DD also has normal yellow seedy poop-never seems mucousy and I have not seen one green poop. Does this really mean she's OK with the dairy?
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Default Re: OALD/OS or dairy?

There's a 95% chance that it's NOT a dairy sensitivity. Oversupply and/or forceful letdown is fairly common during the first couple months, though, as your supply gets more in sync with your baby's needs.

I honestly have no idea whether the grunting is related to OS/OALD or not. Both my babies started grunting around 3 weeks... sometimes they'd grunt all night. I had OALD with my 2nd, but not with my 1st. Never figured it out, and after a while they just stopped doing it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...-sensitivities

I agree it sounds like OS more than dairy. I had both with ds. His allergy symptoms were a rash on his torso, PAINFUL nightwaking, excessive spit up and gas, and puffy/dark eyes. His poops were fine and he gained weight like a champ. I too lived on dairy but after 10 months I was able to work it into my diet again but found that I really preferred a lot of the substitutes better.

Thank you ladies! Selfishly I really didn't want to have to give up dairy. I tried for a couple days after I posted this thread and I failed miserably! I've also been working on getting control over the OS and OALD by using one side for each feeding. DD has also been eating VERY frequently (honestly I'm trying not to get annoyed with this part since I have a 2 year old to chase after as well)-about every 1 1/2 hours day and night. Fullness feels a bit better but I'm still spraying a bit during some let downs. All that to say, I will hold off on eliminating dairy until we've got the OALD/OS under control.
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz