Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Nursing School

Default Starting Nursing School

Tomorrow is going to be my first day of nursing school and first time leaving my baby. She is only 24 days old but I have been on the waiting list for two years and finally got placed. I feel so guilty about leaving her and I am really worried because I am breastfeeding. I have a hospital grade Medela breast pump but I already have so much stuff to carry around at school. My question to everyone is what is the maximum time that you can go without breastfeeding or pumping without your milk supply stopping? My schedule will be as follows:

Monday- breastfeed at 5:15 am and then be at school from 9 am to 1:20 pm
    Tuesday- same as above
    Wednesday- breastfeed at 4:30 am and try again at 6:30 before leaving to school, be at school from 7:30 am to 3 pm
    Thursday- same as above
    Friday- be home all day
    Saturday- be home all day
    Sunday- be home all day

Any advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Starting Nursing School

Welcome to the forums!

You didn't mention if you are experiencing any supply issues (either over or under), therefore, I will assume this is not a problem. Since your baby is still so young, and your breastfeeding relationship is still being established, I would try to pump at least as often as your baby nurses. This usually means every couple hours. What kind of breaks will you have at school during the day? Another thing to consider if you are not already doing so is co-sleeping. It is a great way to help boost supply and re-connect with your LO after being apart. Good luck and , I know how hard it is to have to leave your baby.

You CAN do this!!! I'm starting my 3rd semester of nursing school next Monday. I have 3 nursing school buddies that all had babies last semester and they are all still pumping. Just be upfront with your instructors, pump as often as they'll let you - every 2.5-3hrs. You'll do great! Looks like you've got a great schedule.

I would probably try to get in 1 bottle feeding a day, maybe by dad? on the days that you are home. That will help ensure that Mondays go smoothly.

Congrats on nursing school and your new baby
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

It’s not a big deal; you just have to have determination and a good support system. I found out I was pregnant with my first child the first month I was in grad school. Seven months after having the baby I found out we were pregnant again. I finished the ACNP program in under 3 years and kept a really good GPA. Granted, I was able to quit working as a RN before I delivered the first, and have a very supportive husband. Just know that it will be difficult but the rewards of being a parent are worth it. Good luck!

Why on Monday are you feeding at 5:15 and then....if it takes you an hour to get to school from home and you don't have to be there until 9 am doesn't that mean you will be home until 8am? Won't you have another opportunity to feed her directly before you leave? On the 9-12:30 day I would plan to pump at least once. On the 7:30-3:30 day at least twice. Not only do you NEED to pump to mimic your baby's schedule because your supply is still being established, but you you need to provide the milk for the next day(or week) for while you are away from your baby. Your baby is too new and your supply is to volitile at this point for you to go longer than 2-2.5hours without pumping. And you MAY at this very moment be doubting that because your may still be experiencing engorgement and spray when feeding. But your supply is NOT established. And if you go 4hours without pumping or feeding at this point your body will assume that you don't need to feed that often and your supply will TANK. And you risk clogged ducts and mastitus. The maximum amount of time you should be going this early on is 2-2.5 hours. I would look at where you can fit your pump breaks in now and plan for them and make sure your instructors know what you need.

Way too lazy for formula