Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am very concerned I am going to have to supplement :(

Exclamation I am very concerned I am going to have to supplement :(

Hello, my baby girl has been fussing at my breast a lot recently. I attributed it to teething until I stopped having let down. Now it seems like I hardly producing any milk at all. She went from wetting 8-10 diapers a day to wetting 5-6 a day. Also was pooping 2-3 times a day to once every other day. I'm concerned because she is only 15 weeks old. I never had this problem while breast feeding my son. I don't know what to do...

Default Re: I am very concerned I am going to have to supplement :(

Did your cycle return recently? Have you tried any other ways of increasing your milk supply? You're right to be counting diapers, but before supplementing I would attempt other ways of increasing your milk supply. Fenugreek works quite quickly, in my experience. Oatmeal for breakfast is also a good boost. Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes we get so busy we forget to replace the fluids that our body needs. Also, my kids got used to a fast flow and were quite lazy, so I had to do breast compressions to keep them interested in nursing a little longer after the fast flow of initial letdown subsided. I never felt my letdown, so I wouldnt let that concern you at this point.
    My suggestion is to focus on increasing your supply: plenty of water and rest, oatmeal for breakfast, fenugreek, mother's milk tea. Offer often, and try using breast compressions to keep baby interested. Keep counting the diapers and let us know if it improves!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: I am very concerned I am going to have to supplement :(

Have you changed anything? Started or stopped a medication? Is baby seeming satisfied? Its very common for babies to wet less frequently, poop less frequently, and for mother's to stop feeling letdowns as intensely, but that's not always the case either. Are you pumping at all?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes