Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My milk supply has dropped off to almost nothing.

Exclamation My milk supply has dropped off to almost nothing.

Hello, I am currently breast feeding my second baby and suddenly my milk stopped coming in. I am not feeling letdown and my daughter is constantly fussing at my breast. At first I attributed it to her teething but now she just seems constantly hungry and I can't seem to do anything about it. Help.

Default Re: My milk supply has dropped off to almost nothing.

Also, My daughter is 15 weeks, wetting about 5-6 diapers a day she is only a little over 13 pounds.

I'm sure that's a terrible feeling!

Almost surely the short answer is going to be keep nursing as much as you can!

But for the experts (which is not me) to give you an answer they're going to want to know...

How often is she nursing? Do you nurse on cue or on a schedule?

Do you co-sleep?

Has anything else changed? More stress? Recently go back to work? Menstrual cycles coming back? Baby recently started sleepi through the night?

In the mean time make sure you're drinking plenty of water, getting plenty of rest, and anything you can do to make nursing stress free since I'm sure you feel a lot of pressure right now.

Hang in there!

Supply doesn't usually just disappear. It's normal to not feel letdowns as strongly as time goes on, and it's also normal for your breasts to stop feeling full. That doesn't mean that there is no milk in your breasts, although it causes a lot of moms to worry about supply around the 3-4 month mark. If your baby's diaper output remains good, and you're feeding on demand, your supply is probably fine, and I would investigate another cause for the fussiness.

That said, there are a couple of things that can cause a sudden decline in supply. Hormonal birth control or pregnancy are the biggest culprits. The return of your period can cause a temporary decline in supply (and fussiness in your baby) but it's usually a pretty mild dip and very temporary. Women who are pumping sometimes see a big drop in supply because their pump is no longer functioning as it should and they need to get new parts or a new pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PPs.

Once you've been nursing for a while, and supply is well-matched to demand, the following are normal:
    - Reduced/absent leaking
    - Reduced/absent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - Reduced pumping output, if you have been pumping
    - Reduced/absent letdown sensation
    - Baby starts/stops sleeping through the night
    - Baby nurses more/less frequently
    - Baby seems fussy at the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"