Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie looking for some help

Default Newbie looking for some help

Hello i'm a newbie here and i'm sure my problem would have been posted so many times before but i'm so frustrated.

My LO is 6 weeks old, but for weeks we have been having feeding problems. He latches on ok and i get no pain but he consistantly fusses, latches and unlatches, cries and stiffens etc at every feed. I will persist and keep latching him on, he will eventually stay attached and feed nicely but it is always a struggle. He will unlatch when my letdown happens (highly annoying when you soak every item of clothing, and end up with a wet top when out and about) and then fuss when my flow gets too slow for him so hes never really happy it seems. He also suffers with wind (i'm giving him infacol) i burp him whenever he unlatches after a feed and try to reattach him then burp him again at the end but he still suffers and ends up grunting, straining and then crying with it, and always at around 5-6ish am without fail which will go on for hours.

I want to breastfeed and do intend on doing so for as long as needed but all this is making it so hard and its to the point i dread it when i know feeding time is coming up.

Any help would be great

Default Re: Newbie looking for some help

Is your baby gaining appropriately on breastmilk alone? are you feeding at the breast only?
    If so, This sounds like it may be a combination of some forceful letdown and overproduction which is actually fairly common in the early weeks and normal fussy nursing behavior. The early weeks are a time when baby learns to nurse and mom learns to nurse. Figuring out latch, figuring out sucking, what positions work well et cetera. What can I say some babies and moms "get it " faster than others.
    If you go to the Kelly mom.com website she has a good article on forceful letdown and oversupply. If those symptoms -maybe not all but some of them sound like what is happening then you can try some of her ideas. For the general fussiness at the breast I would suggest always nurse baby at the earliest cues, try different positions so that you and baby are both comfortable and as relaxed as possible and try to relax a little bit- no one likes to see their baby in pain or uncomfortable but a baby Fussing, squirming and passing gas are all normal and I sure you that formula fed babies do this as much or more than breast-fed babies.

Hello, thank you for replying.

Yes my baby is gaining plenty on my milk and i am only breastfeeding.
    I try to put him to the breast before he cries, but he will still fuss and generally act like he is in pain. He will writhe about on me, also i have noticed he will only feed now for about 5 minutes, i will burp him and then try to put him back to the breast but he will cry and act as if the nipple goes in his mouth he will act like he doesn't like it but he will take his dummy.
    There are times when he will relax and just lay there and feed nicely but most of the time it is a battle.

Thank you for the link i will have a read.

Fast feedings (and 5 minutes is fast!) in such a young baby would also match well with an oversupply/fast letdown issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried holding him in a different position when he gets fussy? For example I found that when I try to hold my LO chest to chest he will constantly pop off and fuss but when I hold him in the football position he says on and nursesmuch easier.