Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling away from 7 week old!! Need Advice!!

Default Traveling away from 7 week old!! Need Advice!!

Hi Ladies,

I need your advice please.

My husband is taking me to a B&B for 2 days (1 night) next week as a little gift before my maternity leave ends. Very sweet, but also very nerve racking for me! My mother will be watching the baby. We are leaving Thursday midday and returning Friday afternoon/evening

My question is: How much milk should I leave with my mom?? And I want to give her as much fresh milk as possible because i'm afraid the frozen milk might have that Lipase issue (i've never used a frozen bag before) and I don't want to be 3 hours away and all the sudden my mom runs out of milk or he won't drink it!!

Should I try to pump after feedings for the next few days? To get as much FRESH milk as possible? Should I test a bag of the frozen stuff and see if he'll drink it? If one bag of frozen is fine (the oldest bag) is it safe to say the rest of it will be fine too??

ANY advice you can give will be MUCH appreciated

Thank you!!

Default Re: Traveling away from 7 week old!! Need Advice!!

Try the frozen now. It's as much about trying the milk as it is about seeing if they'll take a bottle. Some refuse the bottle and the milk is fine. They just want Mommy.

Quantity: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You'll have to pump on the same schedule as baby nurses while you're away. Be sure to have somewhere to store it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Try the frozen now. It's as much about trying the milk as it is about seeing if they'll take a bottle. Some refuse the bottle and the milk is fine. They just want Mommy.

Quantity: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You'll have to pump on the same schedule as baby nurses while you're away. Be sure to have somewhere to store it.
    Thank you! I should have mentioned that we have given him a bottle on a few occasions and he took it well so I'm not too worried about that...my main concern was the quality of the frozen milk and making sure I provide enough.

Do you agree that I should pump and give as much fresh as I can to avoid having to use all frozen?

fresh is better than frozen, but not so much bettre that you need to stress about it. freeze whatever you get between now and, say, 5 days before you go. then leave the new stuff fresh, have your mom use that first then frozen, and if she doesn;t use it all, you;ve started a freezer stash!

something to think about: for lots of moms it's REALLy hard to be away from such a little baby overnight. are you sure you will even enjoy your time away rather than be "nerve wracked" the whole time? it will likely be hard on your baby and your mom too. which is not to say don't do it, if it's important to you or your husband. just worth thinking about whether an alternate kind of getaway (one where your baby is with you at night, but not during the day? or one when your baby is older and more independent?) might be better overall.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

** UPDATE **
    Our getaway went very well!! The baby was happy and in good spirits with my parents the whole time! and I provided the exact amount FRESH milk he needed to get through roughly 24 hours. I was so proud of him and of myself!

Next battle: Day 1 of Day care tomorrow...

GOOD job!! it's so great when it works out for everyone.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.