Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New baby problems

Default Re: New baby problems

My DD went throuhg the same thing except we were still in the hospital. She was always very sleepy and would not nurse. She would pull away and cry and after a while just fall asleep at the breast and I could not wake her up. The nurses could not wake her up. She went about 12 hours without nursing. Finally the LC I was seeing brought me a nipple shield and a syringe with formula that she ran through the nipple shield to "reward" the baby everytime she sucked. This worked to get her started nursing better but I still had to fight with her to get her to nurse until recently and she just turned 3 weeks today. My suggestion, try not to use bottles and keep plugging way at it. I cried many nights over the whole thing. I even opened and sterilized bottles. But, I kept trying and even though she still gets frustrated easy, the whole process is much easier and I hope it will continue to get easier

Britney

Today we went to the lactation nurse and the first thing she noticed was how full my wifes breast were. The next thing she did was weighed the baby and saw that we were at 9% weight loss, which is typical for newborns. We then proceeded to nurse and she realized that my wifes breast were so full that it was very hard for the baby to get a good easy latch. This resulted in him taking sips and backing off. So, she gave me a syringe and taught us how to use it and also gave us a nipple shield to help the baby latch. The nipple shield worked and he went to town. I was so so happy and proud of him and I could see the relief in my wife. The lactation nurse then took us to step two which was while the baby was feeding on the nipple shield and the nipple became longer to take it off and let him relatch on and voila it worked. He had a very good feeding right there in the room. So, everything is looking good at this point.

Less-worried dad

Yay! That is fantastic news. It sounds like you were able to see a lactation consultant that knew her stuff. That is great! You two are doing a great job -- keep it up!!

Woo-hoo! A very happy report. Thanks for the update!

--Rebecca

Yeah! I know how relived you both are! Stay the course, it will be the most rewarding thing that you have ever done!

Yeah! Great news!

Awesome! I'm really happy for you guys. The rewards are so great and I'm glad you and wife stuck with it when other might have given up.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

That is FANTASTIC news! Thanks so much for keeping us updated, gohard.