Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician told me my baby is too fat...

Default Re: Pediatrician told me my baby is too fat...

It has been said already, but find a new pediatrician. We ditched our Ped within one week of our daughter's birth because we were so uncomfortable with the practice. We asked around for referrals, but as you are on your 3rd you've no doubt figured out you have to ask like minded people for referrals. If you ask someone who doesn't EBF and lets their baby CIO, etc. they're not practicing your style of parenting and therefore may not have an issue with any type of Ped. If you can find a more holistic practice with an east meets west approach, that will probably suit you. They often don't take insurance, although you may be able to bill back as out of network. Good luck. I really empathize with you on this. Just thinking about our first Ped makes me grimace.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    He told me to do whatever LLL told me to when I brought up a bfing concern
    that's awesome!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She is NOT overweight. And for what it's worth, I had a very chunky baby in ds2; he lengthened out, though, and has only gained maybe a pound a year since weaning at 22 months. And he's just the right weight for his height now. Sometimes it is a real struggle to get him to eat much ; I think it's a good thing he started out as chunky as he did or he might have become too skinny, iykwim.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

And at your next check up your ped will tell you she is too skinny, so you have to start giving her rice cereal

I am glad you have enough confidence to question your ped, but sadly, not all parents do. I have friends and family who did everything their ped said to do and regretted it later because it ended up sabotaging their BFing.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

My babies have all been over 90th percentiles for weight. My doctor says they're healthy girls.

Keep looking for the right doctor. They're out there and they're worth it!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yeah, time for a new pediatrician. You don't need a doctor who is all about the AP or cosleeping or whatever (mine isn't) but you do need one who has a laidback, pro-BF'ing outlook on breastfeeding and weight gain.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You could also look for family practice doctors instead of pediatricians. My doctor delivered my daughter and cares for both of us, and I've heard from other people that they've had better luck with family practice docs since they have a more holistic approach. I'm not sure that's always true, but it's something to think about.

I agree with others about finding a new ped. I see that you are in Maryland, do you have a Johns Hopkins practice down that way? I'm in the military (Ft Meade) and we did US Family Health Plan with Johns Hopkins and we see a pediatrician who specializes in holistic/integrative medicine. Where did you go and see a military doctor? Andrews?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Yes, I missed the September meeting unfortunatly and I guess they only do it once a month here. So I am going to mark it on my calender to make the Oct meeting.

Beth, yes we have John Hopkins near by, and I have thought about looking into that insurance instead of tricare. I'm not quite sure how to go about it I will have to check into it. Yes we went to Andrews, that's where my husband is stationed. FYI it is by far the WORST military hospital I have ever been to. Even the women that live on base don't go there. And I will definitely look into family practice. Thanks ladies