Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician told me my baby is too fat...

Default Pediatrician told me my baby is too fat...

So first off, my LO is 9 weeks old, and we are attatchment parenting her, no biggie right, well apparently my pediatrician thinks I'm a nut job. My daughter is constantly on the boob, and in the begining I thought that was abnormal for her to want to eat constantly, but after joining this website and reading what everyone else has to say, I found that really it's not that crazy, and a lot of breastfed babies eat A LOT lol. Well at 9 weeks she weighs 13 lbs and the pediatrician told me she's overweight. So I asked what I should do and she told me to try and feed her every 3 hours. OK but what about in between feedings if she's showing signs of hunger? Her solution is to let her cry through it WHAT! I told you I am attatchment parenting. She says well she needs to learn to self sooth etc etc...BS I'm not going to let my baby scream, if I can solve the problem with some comfort feeding or even comfort sucking. So my question is, I've been told to breastfeed on demand, is this still true when your LO is overweight? Should I go 3 hours between feedings? LO doesnt like the pacifier, and I dont want to just LET her cry, any advice?

Default Re: Pediatrician told me my baby is too fat...

my advice? Ignore your pedi and continue to feed on demand. 13 lbs at 9 weeks is between the 50th and 85th percentile on the breastfeeding growth chart for girls. I think your pedi is full of poo.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My advice is to get a new pedi. That advice is just plain wrong. Spacing out feedings before baby is ready can damage your supply and affect baby's growth. Breastfed babies can't be overfed. According to WHO growth charts (that's a pdf) your lo is at 90%ile, which is well within normal range.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Your pedi is giving bad advice. First off feeding on demand is the "correct" and biological way to BF, attachment parenting or not. Our bodies are attuned to baby and they signal our bodies to make milk for them by nursing on demand. The scheduled nursing very often leads to supply issues because our bodies aren't factories, we need the stimulation if demand nursing.

Next, you cannot overfeed a BF baby, in fact an EBF baby, barring a physical issue, will not be obese because they completely regulate intake. Your DD isn't really even that big, excuse my saying. In fact she seems normal. Disregard what the doctor says and continue doing what you were...and look for a new doctor.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you ladies. That's exactly what I thought, this is the 3rd pedi I've gone through since she was born, I'm having a very hard time finding one that wont argue with me. I knew she wasnt overweight, I even got into a yelling/fact checking match with her. So thank you for confirming what I KNEW was right. I will continue to feed on demand.

Sounds like you're pediatrician is crazy. Time to find a new one.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree w/PP's! How awful for your pediatrician to say that!

My DS was a "more to love" baby (16 lbs at 2 months) and we were never told to change his feeding habits. Ped said he'll likely plateau and he did.
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

with the other LLLadies. Silly pediatrician.

If you've been through 3 pediatricians already, I'd suggest looking for a 4th but choosing that doc based more on your confidence in their diagnostic skills and their familiarity with normal growth patterns for breastfed babies, and less on what they think about AP or co-sleeping or baby-wearing or on-demand feeding or any other parenting choices you're making. A lot of moms, including me, develop a very thick skin when it comes to parenting discussions. If our pediatricians recommend that we put the baby in a crib, schedule feedings, or CIO, we smile, say "thank you for your advice, how interesting, now let's move on to MY concerns" and then go home and do exactly what we know is right for us and our families. That's usually a more productive approach than getting into a pissing contest over parenting philosophies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Your right it's a waste of time arguing with them lol. And as I'm quickly finding out a lot of pediatricians don't agree with what lactation consultants have to say and vice versa. At least not here. I've been through 3 because I had one on a military base who was very rough with baby, so I decided to change the way our insurance worked and go outside of the military community. The first pediatrician I found was nice but she made me feel like crap everytime I went in, like I was a horrible mom because in the begining about 2-4 weeks I supplemented formula because I didnt think I was producing enough milk, I didnt want to I just thought I had too, and she made me feel like a bad person for that. So I changed to the one I have now, and apparently I'm doing everything wrong. They told me to give her a bottle everynight, and when I asked why I should do this, she said so she gets used to it. WHY would she have get used to it, she takes a bottle 3 times a week from her dad while I am at football practice for 2 hours with my oldest. Other than that I dont want her to have a bottle, I'm home, why wouldnt I comfort her. She said babies need to get used to not always being coddled. HUH? I still coddle my 10 year old son, if he's injured I go to him, if he has a bad dream I am the one who hugs him and holds him and tucks him back in, why would I not do this for my 2 month old? She criticized everything, the co sleeping, the feedings, the not having a bottle, not letting her cry herself to comfort and learn self soothing, etc... So I guess I will just have to try someone else. Again thanks for all advice.

I'm going to thank my ped at the next appointment for never giving me a problem. He told me to do whatever LLL told me to when I brought up a bfing concern Sorry you're having a rough time. Ds was the same weight (also 90 % for height) but has slowly leveled off to the 65% or so. could you go to a LLL meeting in your area of at least contact the local leader for a referral?