Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old nursing less frequently

Default 10 month old nursing less frequently

I've done some googling and searching of the lll forums for this topic, but thought I'd post here anyway with our specifics. Dd is 10 months old and is starting to nurse much less frequently. She's never taken a bottle and we cosleep so she thankfully does still nurse a lot at night. She does eat solids-- started around 7 or 8 months from her cues. I don't spoon feed her, she feeds herself, and she loves food! It's her first word! Anyway, the last couple of days, I've felt a little "off" about the fact that she's nursing less. Partly, I'm worried if my supply might drop a lot (I'm hoping to nurse her for a long time-- well past a year, hopefully 2, or as long as she wants to!). I haven't been keeping track of how often she nurses, but my feeling is the last day or two it's been only 3 or 4 times a day? Maybe even 2? I keep offering and offering (and often in bed, her favorite place to nurse) but she'll flat out refuse, or maybe nurse 5-10 seconds and want down! I should add that she's just figuring out how to stand up and wants badly to walk. And I'll also add that I'm very happy with our situation at night-- cosleeping and nursing-- I don't want to change that at all! Just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to ensure longterm nursing succes. We haven't yet ever been able to make it to a LLL meeting-- I keep hoping to, maybe it'll work out one of these days.

Default Re: 10 month old nursing less frequently

hi mama, my guess is that she's going through a big distracted phase and that she'll nurse again more very soon. it sounds like your setup and routine is really good. just keep offering, try dark quiet room, make sure you offer before every solids meal, and she'll come back.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My son hit a period from ten-twelve months where nursing was much less important. I think he was too busy perfecting his walking skills and checking out every corner of the house (figured out cabinets and drawers too). He was really only nursing at nap/bed times. He picked back up after his bday when his canines began coming in. he also likes to nurse and read at the same time as downtime between naps. Oh and there's nothing like a boob to fix falls and scrapes!

Sounds like my DS the past couple days, he's just too interested in climbing the stairs and trying to explore places-- I hold him the whole time he's napping so he'll keep nursing (we won't mention how he won't sleep if I don't, lol. Gotta have that downtime or I'd lose my mind.)
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Thanks everyone, that's good to know! I'll just keep offering!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Sounds like my DS the past couple days, he's just too interested in climbing the stairs and trying to explore places-- I hold him the whole time he's napping so he'll keep nursing (we won't mention how he won't sleep if I don't, lol. Gotta have that downtime or I'd lose my mind.)
    I have to lie next to dd while she naps/nurses too!