Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what do *normal* babies do? :)

Talking So what do *normal* babies do? :)

I've posted a couple of times from the perspective of the new mom who has the 8 wk old who is always on the breast (for hours), fussing/crying or sleeping (but not sleeping like a newborn). I find myself sitting here nursing (surprise) wondering what do other 8 week olds do in the *other* pockets of time? I'm kidding about the normal part of course.

Default Re: So what do *normal* babies do? :)

I have absolutely no idea what "normal" 8 week-old's do when not nursing. At 2 months, my girls reminded me of ticks. They were just permanently attached- unless, that is, they were crying or getting their diapers changed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have to laugh with you guys on this too.. and mommal's analogy. From what I recall...my DS nursed it seemed around the clock. If he wasn't sleeping or nursing he was usually crying. Society's idea of "normal" is so unrealistic lol.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

DS was one like yours: On the breast, sleeping (usually at the same time as on the breast!), or fussy. He didn't have "wake, quiet alert" periods like the books said(until he was at that magical 12-13 week age). I had just decided he didn't read the books on "normal" and what he was "supposed" to do
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Normal breastfed 8 week olds nurse, sleep and poop. And look very intently at the wall for 10 minutes if you pop them in the swing.

Way too lazy for formula

Ticks!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thumbs up Re: So what do *normal* babies do? :)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Normal breastfed 8 week olds nurse, sleep and poop. And look very intently at the wall for 10 minutes if you pop them in the swing.
    So. Damn. True. I'm often wondering if we'll ever get any use out of that swing. My husband just got back in town - 3 days of me caring for the LO, 3 dogs and 2 cats - and living to tell about it. Anyway he really wanted to go to dinner. I haven't left the neighborhood in a week because week 7 was so rough. I agreed to go - you know the drill. Get everything ready, put her on the boob and when she seems satiated make a break for it. We survived the 10 min in the car w/o a cry and maybe 10 more before I had to start nursing in the restaurant. I had prepared for this and selected location accordingly and brought my little muslin blanket. That lasted maybe 5 min and then she started to blow - from there we traded off eating/walking the baby. He took her outside, I finished alone. I know you all are shaking your heads remembering a similar scenario in your lives. The grocery store is in the same complex so daddy held her, I pushed the cart. Then she starts the build up and he's like take the keys! You can nurse in the car and I'll shop! But i whipped out my next trick, the sling, popped her in and spent the grocery trip dancing and singing my way thru the store. We made it! But of course enjoyed scream fest in the car on the way home. This is why we dine and shop within a 5 mile radius!

And yeah, the ceiling fan is really popular around here. I'm pretty sure Maggie's thinking "Mama, stop making funny faces at me so that I can go back to looking at that ceiling fan, which is TOTALLY BLOWING MY MIND."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Snort. It's so fun to be on a thread that didn't begin with an SOS. This forum keeps me sane. I'll need the dose of sanity when I resume work next month.

Oh yeah the swing is just an expensive booby trap to stub your toe. It quickly took its place in the basement with the oh so useless bassinet. I hadn't figured out zayne's milk allergy at that point so he was only sleeping twenty-sixty minutes at a time before screaming in pain for ten minutes, then nurse back to sleep and start the cycle anew. He did like to sit outside when he was alert.